Need a snappy comeback

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
Apparently the only motor that anybody thinks comes in my car is a 340. Or maybe it is the most desirable. Every person who sees my car asks me " what do you have in it, a 340? " It's getting late in the year and it is getting more and more annoying. I usually tell them I don't have anything that tiny in it. I need a snappy comeback, and I don't want to say it's a slant six. Any ideas?

You could throw a 408 badge on it. Or just say it's got a 350 Chevy.

Just say don't worry about it or alot of times I just tell people yes no matter what they say.

or you could just blow there mind and tell em it the 5.9 liter 454 cubic inch, duel overhead cam, 6-Pak, double weber side draft engine that is modified to run off e58 fuel which makes it a diesel, because your going green. lol.

"If you have enough money you can find out."

"340? Did these come with a 340?"

"I took that out. too much power. I put a 318 in there"

"This is the factory experimental 343"

"Chrysler just TOLD everybody these were 340s"

I would say

What do you think is in it?

After their reply

Wow! your pretty good . You should go play that daily number and grab me a ticket while your there.

Tell them it is the White Hat Special Hemi that was only a prototype that was to have been destroyed but your grandpa snuck out in a trash dumpster.

Maybe you should understand that most people don't have your knowledge about cars, and give them a break. They are only asking because they like your car. Tell them what it is and why. They will think your smart. Now if they call it a chevy, Burn them down!

Or you could be cordial,and be happy that someone is talking to you about your car.
That's what it's about,right ?

Lord knows, I'm full of snappy comebacks. But when someone is asking you something like that & they give you the benefit of the doubt that it's not just another 318, but the higher performance motor, they're just curious about you car & looking to engage you in conversation about it because they like it. Take it as a compliment & then tell them what it really is & some more about it. I wouldn't bite their head off over it. I'm sure you have asked just like the rest of us, someone at sometime, what they have in their car & guessed wrong. It just happens.

I understand the cordial thing, but after a few hundred times, I don't have any cordiality left. And it has been called a Nova more than once. That is an unforgivable sin!

I have a 340 and very few people ask if it has one. Most of the time it is 318 or slant 6?

I get the 440 question a lot. When I tell them it is a 340 they say. " O thats the small motor".

You cant win. Just smile and wave. LOL

-
Back