Need advice 360 timing chain cam/crank slightly off

-
I would read a book before listening to Uncle Tony. :lol: Lining the cam at 6 and the crank dots at 12 just makes the dot to dot lineup easier . to do both at 12 id use a straight edge i agree it makes no difference. All this info about dot to dot lineup should be in a shop manual. This is how a pro mechanic would replace a timing set in the 70s or 80s. they werent degreeing cams back then well, maybe in a performance shop they were. They replaced timing sets because the nylon teeth gears would wear out.

I'll just throw out there these two things. First, that cam sounds like the exact summit cam I put in my 318. Second, I'd say that cam is a tooth off by mistake. Just my observation.
For a normal installation, shouldn't the crank gear be at 12 O'clock and the cam at 6 O'clock?

For a normal installation, shouldn't the crank gear be at 12 O'clock and the cam at 6 O'clock?
It's easier to align the dots that way
But it is firing #6 in that position.
So you can either install the distributor in with the rotor pointing at #6
Or rotate the crankshaft 1 turn
With both dots at 12 O'clock
and point the rotor at #1

I've always done it that way and with #1 @ tdc and they ran fine. There's a couple others here who agree with me.

I've always done it that way and with #1 @ tdc and they ran fine. There's a couple others here who agree with me.
Yeah worst case it pops and carries on when you try and start it, and you pull the dist and spin it 180 drop it back in and it fires. Its not meant to be difficult in a street application. For performance yes degree it. IMO.

Cam dot at 6 o'clock
Crank dot at 12 o'clock
Is firing # 6 cylinder.
Of course # 1 piston will be at tdc
Because it's a 4 stroke Engine.

you can to get them in line. Then I like noon and noon. Then plop the distributor in pointed at #1 and fire away

I suggested (post #33) that the crank dot is past straight up and that if you backed the crank up (or turn it over almost twice) then the two dots would line up. Still looks that way to me, but so far no one has said yeah or nay to my suggestion.

Quite a while ago, I bought a rebuilt slant six long block, put it in my 67 Barracuda (now a 360). It was a dog. Checked this, checked that, then bit the bullet and pulled the timing cover. At first, the two dots appeared to line up, but after carefully lining everything up, found the cam sprocket was a tooth off. Fixed that, and - wow - picked up 20-30 horsepower. Bottom dot only has to be half a tooth past centered to make the top dot a full tooth off while looking OK.

It`s been about 15 years since I put a new timing set on the 340.
I set tdc #1 verified on timing mark.
Old set was at 12 and 6.
New set at 12 and the only way the cam sprocket would match the key was at 12 now. I was like:wtf: I assembled any how and was good to go, runs great. Still can`t wrap my head around that deal.

Chinese parts Im thinking...they dont want us driving these cars and they dern sure don't want us keeping them running its all in the plan think about it a man that can keep his car running off grid with minimal electronics...that's freedom.:) Imagine the guy trying to do work for customers dealing with crap parts but thats a whole nother thread...

Chinese parts Im thinking...they dont want us driving these cars and they dern sure don't want us keeping them running its all in the plan think about it a man that can keep his car running off grid with minimal electronics...that's freedom.:) Imagine the guy trying to do work for customers dealing with crap parts but thats a whole nother thread...

Like that Freedom! :thumbsup:
:usflag:

If you don't like it at 6 and 12 position, rotate the crank one full revolution. The cam dot and crank dot will now be both at 12. It's not magic, the crank spins two revolutions for every cam revolution.

Crank dot at 12 and cam dot at 12 is TDC both #1 valves closed , crank dot at 12 and cam dot at 6 is overlap both #1 valves open the same amount , if you check this then the cam timing is very close

Nothing like a quality gear set with positive marks, thats where id start .

20221103_165309.jpg

20221103_165250.jpg

I agree w/ 65 cuda 340, it may be cell phone photo illusion, but a straight-edge from cam-bolt center to crank center shows the crank ATDC.

I've met automotive uneducated folks who thought the whining sound of my A 833 4 speed in first gear sounded "like a blower" ... :lol:

No dot's... but what's that crazy whirring sound? lol.
That's the sound of a Chevy, all the Chevy guys in the late 70's and 80's had a gear drive. lol
I've never used a gear drive, good true roller or Jesel belt drive for me. I really like the Jesel.

-
Back