Need advice 360 timing chain cam/crank slightly off

-
Here we go again with with the 6-oclock 12 o-clock dots. Most people are not engine builders, just telling someone to degree the cam is like telling him to do brain surgery on someone's brain. Sure, he can learn to do both, but......

Here we go again with with the 6-oclock 12 o-clock dots. Most people are not engine builders, just telling someone to degree the cam is like telling him to do brain surgery on someone's brain. Sure, he can learn to do both, but......
Yeah, well, I'm done with this one. I know how I do mine and they turn out great.

Thank you all for the replies. Never used a degree wheel before and always relied on dot to dot, even when I installed 284 purple shaft cams years ago. Time to learn a new skill
I put my .484 purple shaft in straight up. I perhaps should have a degree it and Advance it a couple degrees to get more on the bottom I don't know. No info there.didnt come with a cam card

Purchased a 360 from Mabco to put into my A66 340 Challenger short term while I pull the 340 for a rebuild.
I bought a hp version with flat top pistons and installed hp cam sited as a 272 cam
Cam specs; 272-272 duration 454 lift 110 lobe separation 52 degrees overlap, 216 216 duration @ .50
Power range 1500-5200 Considered the largest "stock" cam for this engine
In going over the engine for parts install; the timing marks are slightly off.
I call the manufacturer and he stated to leave the chain as is.

Pistons are flat top 30 over, no valve notches, piston to deck measurement is not a stock (deep in the hole) 360 with the higher compression pistons it measures out at about .087 below deck with number 1 piston at TDC.

I am no expert, and I have installed cams years back always aligning timing marks; is there a reason for the manufacturer to alter the timing in this manner with this hp cam and flat top piston?
Pic of timing chain sprockets and Number 1 piston at TDC
Any thoughts appreciated.

View attachment 1716005507

View attachment 1716005508
Thoughts........Don’t waste you’re time calling Mabbco with any more questions. You already are likely flagged as “we might have issues with this guy” by asking about the timing set and questioning things. Either do the correct thing as a few here have told you to do or......do what they’ve told you! Read, re-read on how to centerline a cam. Acquire the equipment and practice with it or spend a little and take it to someone who (knows) can check it for you. Rest easy knowing it’s either ok or corrected. Assemble engine etc etc.
That’s my thoughts:thumbsup:

Thoughts........Don’t waste you’re time calling Mabbco with any more questions. You already are likely flagged as “we might have issues with this guy” by asking about the timing set and questioning things. Either do the correct thing as a few here have told you to do or......do what they’ve told you! Read, re-read on how to centerline a cam. Acquire the equipment and practice with it or spend a little and take it to someone who (knows) can check it for you. Rest easy knowing it’s either ok or corrected. Assemble engine etc etc.
On the lifter thread that's current Clay Smith racing has a degree wheel dial indicator with the magnetic base and some checking lifters for like $119 bucks.

So it sounds like he isn’t sure where to install the cam.
So let’s open that can lol.
Install it at 106? 104?

No problem with degreeing the cam as being the most accurate way to do it, but I put a straight edge from the middle of the crank bolt to the middle of the cam bolt (picture, post #1), and it sure looks to me like the lower dot is off to the right (our right), not centered, and that if it were centered, it might line up with the dot on the cam gear.

Last edited:
Yep it's out of time.

Needs to be cam dot 12 O'clock
Crank dot 12 O'clock
With #1 TDC up on compression.

View attachment 1716005574
polytiming.jpg

Poly timing right out the 60 manual. They dont even mention TDC as its a given with the keyway. They say to line up the gears within the unmounted chain DOT TO DOT and then rotate (as a set) the lower cog to line up with the keyway (top cog be damned!) and then rotate the CAM to match the keyway in the upper cog and bolt her up. Let it land where it may but if you rotate the crank now to dot up, the cam cog will be dot straight down, or DOT straight up but either is gonna be correct, Dot to Dot is easier to visualize.

Oh yeah…isn’t there a trick where you can dbl check icl with a straight edge on the lifters on the exh and int lobes.

Degree your cam , all this goes away … No guessing, no not knowing…. If you don’t know how to degree a camshaft, find a local guy that does…. Will make a remarkable difference in the way the motor runs !! Without question you have to do this, don’t care what the manufacturer says ! Good luck with your engine Sir !

I'll just throw out there these two things. First, that cam sounds like the exact summit cam I put in my 318. Second, I'd say that cam is a tooth off by mistake. Just my observation.
It's been a long time since I've put together a engine. But I remember putting the crank gear at 12 O'clock and the cam gear at 6 O'clock

It's been a long time since I've put together a engine. But I remember putting the crank gear at 12 O'clock and the cam gear at 6 O'clock

That makes it fire on cylinder #6, one more revolution on the crank brings it to:

Cam gear dot at 12 O'clock
Crank gear dot at 12 O'clock

Now it will fire on cylinder #1 that is up on compression stroke. This is where you put the distributor in to fire the #1 cylinder at TDC. Rotor pointing at front left (driver's side) intake manifold mount bolt.

Screenshot_20210603-092743_Gallery.jpg

Isn't it this dot that should be at 12

View attachment 1716005744

It's the stamped circle just to the right of that red mark

Unless they got that timing set out of the bargain bin, failed QC, cam gear stamped incorrectly, way wrong bin. It's way off as installed.

Harbor freight dial indicator and base with the extensions. Solves the tool issue, print out a degree wheel or buy a cheap one.

Amazon has extension tips for around $5

Degree wheels can be had for about $20

Buy them, and return some of it if you never plan to use it again... shady but been done a lot over the years.

About $50 to do it right and verify installed centerline. I'd put it in at 108-110. Short duration cam and doesn't really need anymore help IMO.

Last edited:
I agree. You get it. Not everyone is going to degree a cam especially in a street application. I'm not saying that I don't agree with degreeing its just that some will take the quick and easy way out and the car will run. now with todays outsourced parts? who knows I've never had issues with dot to dot and I've assembled Ford, Mopar and GM long blocks for street applications. the dots dont go at 12 o clock its 6 oclock for the cam gear and 12 for the crank dots. Unles somethings has changed in the last feew years I havent built an engine since 2015 or so... :lol:

You are correct sir. This is how the dots align on just about every US made old school small block.

I think you're right. I've never seen a crank sprocket marked way down low like the one that's at 12 o'clock. All of them I've seen are at between the teeth just like above your red dot. Good eye!

The issue is, if he uses that mark, it's gonna pull the piston well away from TDC. This is why I recommended finding true TDC and getting the degree wheel out, yet some of these guys on here just insist on plundering through the dark. This engine obviously has some incorrectly assembled and or incorrectly marked parts. It would be very easy to align everything properly and even remark that crank sprocket and get it all right by simply degreeing the thing. Anything less is just bad advice.

Oh yeah…isn’t there a trick where you can dbl check icl with a straight edge on the lifters on the exh and int lobes.
I'm sure this would work to atleast check the timing set...

RELATING VALVE OVERLAP TO THE TIMING TAG - WHAT IS A SPLIT OVERLAP?​

Split overlap means that the intake and exhaust valves are split or open an equal distance at T.D.C. Overlap. Of course, this also means that the intake and exhaust tappets are split or equally off their cam's base circle at T.D.C. Overlap. The cam would be advanced if the intake tappet was open further at T.D.C., and retarded if the exhaust tappet was open further at T.D.C.

Cam Degreeing

I'm all good with dot to dot UNTIL, you get a series of stacking tolerance issues and a cam ends up installed 10-12* retarded. Crank gear keyway cut a little off, dowel hole/woodruff key in cam a little off, cam gear locating a little off, marking the cam gear on wrong tooth. Makes for loads of fun.

It's a simple procedure to insure that the cam is installed where it is supposed to be. The cam in the OP's deal is way off just from a visual, I wouldn't trust anything with regards to marks alone.

The cam gear at 6 or 12 oclock make no difference. It just changes the piston tdc/firing, distributor line up on fire up. On mopars SB cam gear 6 oclock = #6 firing, at 12 it's #1 firing
Make zero difference for install or function of the engine. Crank gear turns 2 times for every one time the cam turns.

Your red dot is not the correct dot. Your crank is positioned correctly as with the crank keyway pointing to 2 O'clock. The correct dot is there pointing to 12 O'clock, just hard to see.

Compare the crank position and dot positions with yours, and this correctly timed engine pictured below.

Note the position of the keyway in the crankshaft.

Your setup:
20221102_124404.jpg

Correct timing pictured below:
Screenshot_20221102-123640_Gallery.jpg

Notice the position of the "Eccentric" for the fuel pump on the cam gear, as another clue as to where the cam needs to be correctly positioned to.
(high side of the eccentric is like 7 O'clock, pointing down to the left)

Yes. Never tried it myself but, there is an explanation on Uncle Tony's Garage. Youtube. Tony calls it the "keith black method."

-
Back