Need advice on setting T-sync on 4 corner idle carb

-

340doc

Reaction score
I have a 750 with the 4 corner mixture screws and no PV in rear. Carb is out of the box stock. On my old Holley without 4 corner, I set the front T-slots and left the back alone. My question is on the new carb, do I set both front and rear slots the same, see where my idle is and adjust front and rear idle screw equally to bring idle where it needs to be? Or leave the back alone and just set the front like my old carb. Thanks FABO!

No you square the front and never touch it again. use the rear to set the idle. This is the reason for the secondary idle screw. The front should never be past square or you will be into the transfer slot emulsion jets in the metering block

download (1).jpg

download (2).jpg

download (3) - Copy.jpg

download (3).jpg

Isn't there also an idle circuit and transfer slot on the secondaries, even without the four-corner idle? So if setting the idle requires opening the secondaries into the transfer slots, won't that richen the mixture too?

I have an 800 Holley DP with 2-corner idle, and I set all four transfer slots square. This required a 3/32" hole in all four butterflies, but it idles as stably as a 272 @ .050 cam does.

set front and rear square and set idle speed with (ultra) adjustable air bleed under air cleaner stud. How old is your carb?
63.jpg

I'll square both front and rear and see how my idle rpm is and see what's needed from there. Thanks for the input.

My 800 doesn't have the air-cleaner-stud airbleed either. It's old.

Don't forget to have your ignition timing where you want it (at idle and at max advance), and the PCV system you'll be running, before you drill any holes in your throttle blades. Idle timing makes a big difference to the amount of air required.

Isn't there also an idle circuit and transfer slot on the secondaries, even without the four-corner idle? So if setting the idle requires opening the secondaries into the transfer slots, won't that richen the mixture too?
Yes there is a secondary idle circuit and transfer slot. On most traditional Holley 4 bbls, the secondary idle port is very restrictive and the t-slot is high enough that a small increase in secondary throttle position will not richen the mixture.
Secondary transfer slot positions vary, as do secondary idle ports.
Very generally they seem to be as follows:

Two idle mixture screws
Secondary transfer slots above the throttles. Vacuum secondaries further up than double pumpers.
Secondary idle ports very small, greatly restricting fuel at idle. Vertically they line up with the t-slot.
->exception: carbs using baseplate channel to connect a primary idle port to secondary idle port. Secondary idle ports are full size.

Four idle mixture screws
Secondary transfer slots and idle ports nearly mirror primary transfer and idle ports.

With four corner idle mixture screws there are two fully operating idle systems. Therefore under the same conditions, with the same calibrations a four corner carb will deliver double the fuel at idle. On an engine with low manifold vacuum at idle, this can be very helpful. But I mention this mostly because some are surprised that the car idles well with the idle mixture screws hardly open. Well that's why and its nothing to worry about. As long as turning the mixture screws cause a change you know they are in their working range.

Last edited:
set front and rear square and set idle speed with (ultra) adjustable air bleed under air cleaner stud. How old is your carb?
View attachment 1715458815
The air bleed under the air cleaner stud seems to have been an idea of Bill Jones. Barry Grant may have been the first to incorporate the 'idle-eze' into mass market Holley type carbs. They can be added to most 4 bbls. There is certainly debate about whether this is the 'best' way to bring in a little extra air. In its favor is the ability to make quick adjustments in either direction. It also can be used regardless of secondary systems.
Throttle plate holes have an advantage of bleeding the additional air into idle fuel stream. That's the arguement in their favor anyway.

Alternatives to drilling throttle blades on a Dominator? - Don Terrill’s Speed-Talk

Bill Jones Webpage

My 800 doesn't have the air-cleaner-stud airbleed either. It's old.

Don't forget to have your ignition timing where you want it (at idle and at max advance), and the PCV system you'll be running, before you drill any holes in your throttle blades. Idle timing makes a big difference to the amount of air required.
Yes, thanks for bringing that up. Timing and PCV have been setup.

Yes there is a secondary idle circuit and transfer slot. On most traditional Holley 4 bbls, the secondary idle port is very restrictive and the t-slot is high enough that a small increase in secondary throttle position will not richen the mixture.
Secondary transfer slot positions vary, as do secondary idle ports.
Very generally they seem to be as follows:

Two idle mixture screws
Secondary transfer slots above the throttles. Vacuum secondaries further up than double pumpers.
Secondary idle ports very small, greatly restricting fuel at idle. Vertically they line up with the t-slot.
->exception: carbs using baseplate channel to connect a primary idle port to secondary idle port. Secondary idle ports are full size.

Four idle mixture screws
Secondary transfer slots and idle ports nearly mirror primary transfer and idle ports.

With a four corner idle mixture screws there are two fully operating idle systems. Therefore under the same conditions, with the same calibrations a four corner carb will deliver double the fuel at idle. On an engine with low manifold vacuum at idle, this can be very helpful. But I mention this mostly because some are surprised that the car idles well with the idle mixture screws hardly open. Well that's why and its nothing to worry about. As long as turning the mixture screws cause a change you know they are in their working range.
Thanks for the easy to follow explanation, very helpful.

-
Back