Need an A-Body Expert! Rear Defogger Question?

-

MoparGod

Reaction score
OK, I'm not an expert, sp maybe someone here will know. I have a 72 Duster parts car with a rear defogger/ defroster. The stange part is that it is different than any I have ever seen before. The vents in the rear window are up & down and it has a retangular vent and a round one. Also the switch is in the heater contril panel right below the blower switch. All the others I have seen have had the separate togg;e switch and are usually located on the bottom of the dash!

Is this some oddball car or what?? :read2:

pictures would help

OK

MVC-021S.JPG

MVC-020S.JPG

Never seen anything like it

Saw a flyin saucer once

but NEVER anythin like that:-D

At first glance I say aftermarket. But that casted into Off . High lettering on the temp control panal has me thinking. OR is that in every 72 A-body non A/C temp panel??

Really grasping...

The round grille in the square plastic housing looks like the dual round seperated grilles used in 67 to 69 Barracuda couple rear defrosters.

I wonder if this was a "dealer installed" accesory package rear defosters. In earlier years they just were like the factory ones.

The dealer accesory stuff is sometimes very different than that factory installed stuff. For instance the dealer installed A/C compressor are mostly Ford type tecumesch compressers. And when you ordered dealer instaled stereo, you got some metel grille assemblies instead of a die cut package tray.

Anyone have a 72 factory parts book and have the dealer accessory sections in them (some do not)

That sounds sort of far fetched. If the defog swich looks cut into the temp panel in any way... forget about it.

If it was a factory installed system, the switch would be on the bottom of the dash at the left end. Next to the footwell light switch if the car has the Light Package.

Anyone have a 72 factory parts book and have the dealer accessory sections in them (some do not)

That why I said aftermarket.

Factory setup uses the long, narrow package tray hole like any of the set ups from about 68 on.

Page 1-7 of the 1972 parts book

The factory installed rear defroster would indeed by controlled by a switch near the parking brake. A wire feeds the switch from the fuse panel and their are two wires from the switch to the fan. It has a two speed fan. The squirrel cage mounts to the metal X behind the rear seat back and is ducted into a slot a little less than 2 feet long. Air is drawn from the back of the rear seat. The package shelf is cut for 2 6x9 speaker openings and the defroster slot. This is the only type of rear defroster that shows up in the parts manual.

My guess that it was dealer installed near the time the car was originally sold. Clearly, the lower fan switch looks like the upper, but it is not centered in the heater control. The unit appears to look like one I got out of an 80s vintage Camaro. It takes air from the package shelf area and blows it onto the rear window. This kind of unit looks like it would fit a 6x9 cut-out, but it does not. If it is a Mopar part it will have a pentastar stamped on it somewhere.

I wpuld say that is just a clean custom install. The heater control panel normaly has the "off", an arrow head for the middle, and a "high". My 69 valiant is like that. Also I have been doing a decent amount of work with different heater panels and that switch is an oem type, but its hole is too low o the panel to be a factory styled option. I too have never seen the actual unit thats in your back window. I have to sat I kinda dig it though.

-
Back