Need big block help.

-
No problem on my end and i hope i did sound off like i was trying to be a dick. with the 2 edelbrock carbs all i did was pull them out of the box put them on the tunnerlam and set the idle.unless there was something wrong with my holley 750Dp, i could beleave how much better the car ran after the intake change. i mean after the intake change driving the 65 on there street i could not beleave how much more low end power the engine was making.Now i know i was not making 500 hp etc but for a junk yard motor i just threw togeather the car ran very good. i used to drive the 65 on the street all the time unless it was snowing.oh for got i also had to change out the idle jet springs. the car had no bog off the line etc. well i hope it works out for the op and if not then at least he can say he wouldnt know if he didnt try it. thanks Mopar65

You're good. I just wanted to make sure no one was thinking I was some be all and end all of intakes.

the words first time build and tunnel ram should not be in the same sentence.

HE WANTS THE TUNNEL RAM BECAUSE IT LOOKS COOL!

Ya it looks cool but for a novice builder they are gonna be a headache to tune. Unless he runs a ton of rear gear and stall its gonna be a dog down low. its gonna bog and backfire etc.

this is exactly how projects stall. guys get discouraged and let car sit. I think he should keep the tunnel ram on the shelf in the garage. pick up a used duel plane single 4 intake with a 750 cfm carb and run it.

the words first time build and tunnel ram should not be in the same sentence.

HE WANTS THE TUNNEL RAM BECAUSE IT LOOKS COOL!

Ya it looks cool but for a novice builder they are gonna be a headache to tune. Unless he runs a ton of rear gear and stall its gonna be a dog down low. its gonna bog and backfire etc.

this is exactly how projects stall. guys get discouraged and let car sit. I think he should keep the tunnel ram on the shelf in the garage. pick up a used duel plane single 4 intake with a 750 cfm carb and run it.

That's what I'm doing, until I get my heads, then I'm putting my cross ram on. I can't tune very well (at least not a Holley) but don't care, I can drive 10 miles to my buddy who can. I agree it's overkill, it looks badass, and is whatnot want. After I get the basic combo dialed in. Part of this hobby is being frustrated, it will happen and you have to learn to deal with it. We are not all ASE certified mechanics, so there is a it of learning as you are doing for a lot of us. I've been fortunate enough to learn on previous builds so when I get stuck, I know there is a solution around the corner. If the op wants it, he'll have it.

I run a 493RB tunnel ram 2 600 eddys.It took a time to learn how to tune them.Use what you have,If it was me I would check the cyclinder walls if ok break the glaze drop in a set of flat top pistons and the 452 heads 214/181 little bowl work and a good hyd cam and you'r tunnel ram [HAVE FUN]:eek:ops:

has young gun ever run a tunnel ram big mopar? reread this thread with an open mind and a paper and pencil. long runners give more low end, big runners give more top end, get the balance right and hold on. will the original poster please run the tunnel ram and carter carbs with metering rod springs for the engines idle vacuum and get back to us on how strong she runs

has young gun ever run a tunnel ram big mopar? reread this thread with an open mind and a paper and pencil. long runners give more low end, big runners give more top end, get the balance right and hold on. will the original poster please run the tunnel ram and carter carbs with metering rod springs for the engines idle vacuum and get back to us on how strong she runs

Did i say a tunnel ram cant be run on the street? no. I said he is a first time builder and tuning two carbs is alot harder then 1. I said put the tunnel ram aside for now. get a cheap used single four barrel carb. get the thing running right then play with the tunnel ram.

"carter carbs with metering rod springs for the engines idle vacuum and get back to us on how strong she runs"

you think a first time builder knows what heck your talking about? My advice was solid.

the O. P. said first big block build, not first time builder. call edelbrock and they will easily advise as how to measure vacuum at idle to select metering rod springs. adjusting 2 carbs is not alot harder than 1, but does take twice as much time.

I'm not reading through all that - I too am on a budget - No.1 thing you can do is bookmark a craigslist search - I found a ad for a torker 383 intake and ended up getting $900 worth of parts for $340 - guy was parting out a C body wagon and returning it back to stock

If the motor runs I would leave the pistons/rods/crank alone - everything else here is what I would do -

sell tunnel ram/1 of the Edel's (keep one for your motor)
Edelbrock rpm intake
Mopar shim head gaskets to bump the compression
a Comp Cams K kit (includes everything needed for a cam swap including springs)
3000rpm stall or so
aluminum water pump kit from eBay
shift kit for the trans
8 3/4 or Ford 8.8 for your car
Hedman B body headers
Summit 2.5" X or H pipe
and summit flowmaster mufflers (or the Summit header back exhaust kit for $260)

The driveshaft will need to be cut and rebalanced

Hey guys I appreciate all the posting it definitely helps me determine where I want this engine to go... I'm sorry to have given you guys the wrong impression of myself I may not be as experienced as you all but I do have experience with these cars. I have built a few slant sixes and small blocks including a few strokers, I have only built two big blocks in my time but this is the first time that I have had the chance to deal with the low compression that plagues the later 440s. I'm sorry if I gave off the wrong impression of myself but I was just looking for a budget 440 build as far as my budget is concerned I'm still determining the cap on that but just ensure I know I'm going to have to pay to run faster so I was just trying to storm up some ideas to see what my options are as far as this build goes. Once again thank you all for your input it helps me kind of decide what I'm going to do with this project.

-
Back