Need block casting ID help

-

Dusterdude72

IN MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE
Reaction score
Ok guys....I just picked up an engine for my 72 duster (finally LOL) any how....I was told it was a 318 out of a 1966 dodge coronet.

on the drivers side of the block I see casting numbers as follow 2535030 318-5

and on the passenger side I see D N 7 and then it looks like a blobed dot of cast 27 and another blobed dot of cast and then 88... so 7 dot 27 dot 88.

my question is....what do these numbers mean? what year? what make and model is it from? what was the factory horse power? is it a rare block by chance? any and all info for that matter would be appreciated.

and if these are not the numbers I should be looking for...then where do I find the ones I need.

Thanks in advance guys

read the numbers wrong guys.....its 2536030 318-5

7 dot 27 dot 66

from what i gather the D and N stand for day and night (as in the shift the factory was on at the time of casting) however I didnt notice which letter the pointer was aimed at (ill look some other time) also,there is a casting of a clock and its aimed at the first dot after 12 o clock so I am thinking it means 1 or 2 oclock when it was molded.

as for the 7 dot 27 dot 66....I assume it is the date 7-27-66 which since it is past the half way mark of the year (6 months) it would have most likely been in a late 66/ early 67 model vehicle.

also from what I gather the 2536030 318 stands for 318 1967-1975 LA ......but from what I gather LA blocks did not start until 67 and if this blocks date was casted as a 66 does that mean it is a 318A block? or since it was after half way through the year by the time it was casted it was considered a 67 and considered a 318 LA block?

sorry for all the questions....kind of confused and looking for any expert advise and anyone that can give me any more info than that of what I think??? I know lol.

Thanks all

7.27.66 was the casting date of the block. And that is the correct serial number 25360030 318 for what you said you are looking for. Good luck.

MaMopar let blocks sit for 6 months before they were machined and assembled. July 1966 casting date would have been for 1967 production. LA 318s didn't appear until the '67 model year. The 318 A or poly block is totally different from the LA in the deck/valley area. If you had one you would know it. They look like an early hemi block from the top. Your block may well have come out of a '66 Coronet, but it wasn't the original engine. Wouldn't worry, you have a good starting point.

good to know again...I could care less what year the care was it came from lol...aslong as I know as much about the engine as possible....the engine will be going in my duster anyhow so its not like I am going for numbers matching here lol. Thank you for what info you have given....

now if I can find any more info on it out? any specs from that years hp/tourqe rating and so on and so forth.

I read up on the 318A blocks and from what I have read....it says that they appear almost identical to a 318 LA block and that the major differences were in that the cylinder walls were thicker ....inturn making for a much heavie block.

then again, I am no expert lol

-
Back