-
Status
Not open for further replies.

71scamp78

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Contact seller
Im swapping my small bolt pattern axles out for bb pattern axles and I think the old ones won't work in the bb axles even though they came off a 8 3/4. Correct me if I'm wrong it's been a while

If the center register on the new axles is the same as the register on the old axles, all you would need to do is drill your old drums for BBP and use your current brakes. Plan on finding backing plates, brake parts, and drums from '65 up B, C, or ANY '73 or newer rear wheel drive Mopar with 10 or 11 inch brakes. If you want discs look under mid '90s Jeep Grand Cherokees... Oh,, and welcome aboard, don't be shy with questions....

You can not use Jeep disc brakes, feel free to call me for correct info reguarding front disc brakes, and please do not redrill your 4" axles and drums

there isn't enough metal to redrill the axles, plus this will weaken the axle, possible cause a serious accident

I offer free advice, I have 40 years experience with classic mopar mechanical issues

just trying to be helpful to you and other owners

mopar charlie
727-271-5068

I have a pair of 10" backing plates with 10" x 2 1/2" brake shoes and all the hardware, parking brake cables along with LBP drums. All came off of an early 70s B body 8 3/4 rear. I also have with this package a set of new brake shoes and new wheel cylinders. Let me know if this can help.

Ken
Edison, NJ

I'll add - the C body brakes have a deeper offset - I don't think they will allow the brakes to line up with the drum on a stock A body rear. You need B or E body setups.

The small bolt brakes are 10x1 3/4 I think and there are no drums with that brake size in large pattern. Know what plates your geting so you can get the correct drums and brakes. I would go with the set up Physixx has. It makes for zero guess work. The C bodies used 11x2,11x2.5,10x2 1/2 and so did most B bodies and trunks/vans

I have 10 x 2 1/2 backing plates with LBP drums and 11 x 2 backing plates PM me if interested

Im swapping my small bolt pattern axles out for bb pattern axles and I think the old ones won't work in the bb axles even though they came off a 8 3/4. Correct me if I'm wrong it's been a while

A body axles have a different offset (the hub sticks out further) and have to be used with A body backing plates and A body drums only. If you convert to BBP by redrilling the old A body axles, you cannot use B/C/E/Truck backing plates and drums. You have to redrill your a body drums to BBP and use them and the stock a body backing plates.

If your BBP axles are aftermarket, or cut down & resplined B/C/E body axles then you will need the B/C/E/ or truck backing plates and drums. They can come off of ANY 8 1/4, 8 3/4, 9 1/4, or 9 3/4 rear (and some late 7 1/4 rears with bbp.

Just remember that the backing plates have to match the axles. A for A or b/c/e/truck for non A axles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back