Need brakes for 8 3/4 rear end 5x4.5in pattern

-

MJs Beaver

Reaction score
72 dodge dart that I am throwing a stroked 383 in. I just got an 8 3/4 rear end with 5x4.5in bolt pattern. I would like to use rear disk brakes, but I can use drums to save money. I would get 15in or larger rims. Any suggestions on which brand/brakes to use?

Stock drum would be OK on a budget.
Most of you stopping in on the front and that
is where I would invest to money. I have a lot of
all this stuff and I am on Nevada/Arizona border.

There are different brake components depending on
if your rear end is out of a A body or B body originally

First off, how did you get the 5x4.5 bolt circle- redrilling stock axles or buying aftermarket? (Edit: If you redrilled stock axles or got aftermarket with the A body offset, you're pretty much stuck with using redrilled A body drums.) If you bought aftermarket, did you get the standard flange offset or the A body flange offset? It makes a difference. And are you running tapered or green bearings? Some disc kits require the green bearings.
If you got the standard Chrysler offset axles, you can put darn near any 5x4.5 drums and backing plates on it- B, C, E, F/M/J, early truck/van, 5 lug Dakota, and post '73 A bodies among others. Just make SURE you get matched sets of drums and backing plates, there are different width drums and their appropriate backing plates in both 10 and 11" sizes.
For discs, a low cost option is the Jeep Liberty or pre-'98 Grand Cherokee rear discs. Basically a bolt-on. Use "Search"- lots of info on here that I won't get into repeating all over again.

Last edited:
First off, how did you get the 5x4.5 bolt circle- redrilling stock axles or buying aftermarket? (Edit: If you redrilled stock axles or got aftermarket with the A body offset, you're pretty much stuck with using redrilled A body drums.) If you bought aftermarket, did you get the standard flange offset or the A body flange offset? It makes a difference. And are you running tapered or green bearings? Some disc kits require the green bearings.
If you got the standard Chrysler offset axles, you can put darn near any 5x4.5 drums and backing plates on it- B, C, E, F/M/J, early truck/van, 5 lug Dakota, and post '73 A bodies among others. Just make SURE you get matched sets of drums and backing plates, there are different width drums and their appropriate backing plates in both 10 and 11" sizes.
For discs, a low cost option is the Jeep Liberty or pre-'98 Grand Cherokee rear discs. Basically a bolt-on. Use "Search"- lots of info on here that I won't get into repeating all over again.

I bought aftermarket and I am running green bearings. Not sure what you mean by standard flange offset or A body flange offset, but it measures exactly to A body measurements if that helps. This is my first build and I don't know a whole lot, learning as I go.

I bought aftermarket and I am running green bearings. Not sure what you mean by standard flange offset or A body flange offset, but it measures exactly to A body measurements if that helps. This is my first build and I don't know a whole lot, learning as I go.
This pic explains it pretty well (I stole it from @72bluNblu )
b87e8cda-4826-4290-8e9e-7915b82ff6b5-jpeg-jpg-jpg.jpg

It should also illustrate why different drums and backing plates are required for stock A bodies as opposed to the standard Chrysler 5x4.5 axles.

-
Back