Need cam advice.

-

Hyde440duster

Reaction score
Ok here is the situation I just rebuilt a 440 thats going in my 72 duster, Its going to have 10.6 to 1 compression and thinking about using Edelbrocks top end kit2087 ( http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/2087/10002/-1 ) From what I understand the cam is the weak point . Would like a cam thats is both street/strip but more strip car is a toy and dont plan on driving it every day. Would like a nice loby idle but not and EXTREME race cam. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. And would it be better to piece it all together separate. Thanks

Voodoo's good.So is Comp's XE/HL grinds. Of the two,Voodoo has newer ramps.

Thanks for the opinions , Is that top end kit a good choice or should I spring for an extra 700 and get Indy. Besides the name is it that much better?

Stay with the Edelbrocks. They are a decent head,to have fun with.Lift limit, .570" ish lift.

Nothing wrong with the package at all.....With that said, two things come to mind,

Always make sure you have "out of the box" heads checked over by a good machinist.

And, that cam may be a little soft for what your looking for? Gearing, torque converter, etc. and your tolerance for a choppy cam, which is subjective between us all, will play a role in the final decision.

Yea that's what I was going to do. I have a guy name Hollis Page at hp engine doing the machine work ( out of albemarle nc) seems very knowledgeable and seems like a great guy. I'll have him do a once over on them and fix any issues he sees.

Yea that's what I was going to do. I have a guy name Hollis Page at hp engine doing the machine work ( out of albemarle nc) seems very knowledgeable and seems like a great guy. I'll have him do a once over on them and fix any issues he sees.

I've met Hollis, seen some of his work, top notch. If you let him advise you with the build you'll be fine. He does a good job.

Ok here is the situation I just rebuilt a 440 thats going in my 72 duster, Its going to have 10.6 to 1 compression and thinking about using Edelbrocks top end kit2087 ( http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/2087/10002/-1 ) From what I understand the cam is the weak point . Would like a cam thats is both street/strip but more strip car is a toy and dont plan on driving it every day. Would like a nice loby idle but not and EXTREME race cam. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. And would it be better to piece it all together separate. Thanks

You will like this kit, your horse power will be higher the the 10.6-1 compression. I am making 500HP with my set up.

I run the MPP 284 .528 solid. Mild idle, great street manners, great power.

In hindsight I'd HIGHLY recomend a hyd or solid roller.

I guess I am on the other side on this one.. I say spend the extra money for the Indy heads. You have allot more room to grow with them. we all know that speed is a drug and you will want more out of your car. Why not have a great set of heads instead of a good set?

Heads to me are something you need to buy to have for a long time.. If I was stuck on a head with performance like Eddy's I would just buy the stealth and save some money.

You will like this kit, your horse power will be higher the the 10.6-1 compression. I am making 500HP with my set up.

Yea I would love to hit 500 + , I'm just not real sure what kinda lift/and duration u should be looking for. I've never done a big block. And I have been told that the xam in the kit is a good street can I just figure if the car gets 4mpg might as well get 3 and be a lot more fun!

Yea I would love to hit 500 + , I'm just not real sure what kinda lift/and duration u should be looking for. I've never done a big block. And I have been told that the xam in the kit is a good street can I just figure if the car gets 4mpg might as well get 3 and be a lot more fun!

I use the Edelbrock RPM kit and made the 500 HP. My car is running 11.70s last time out.

I agree with Boosted. Indy heads will give you more room in the future. I really like the Hughes cams... I would strongly suggest a solid cam over a hydroulic also..

I say use the Edelbrock top end kit and instead of the $700 upgrade to Indy heads, purchase a roller cam that works with the street strip plan and RPM range you want to drive in and get it with as much lift as the head can handle. Have it on a 112 for smooth idle and operation.

240's duration mid .500's lift and a decent set of heads will yield 500hp.

I'd drop the coin on the cam now and the heads later. changing heads in a car that is together is much easier than doing a cam swap IMO

Just make sure whichever cam you choose has lobes on it.

my 400 with the eddy kit is getting dyno'ed this week (hopefully on friday)

i think the more expensive indy stuff would be a waste unless you are going 12:1 / race gas and racing the car. 500hp will be plenty for highway use. 600hp would be better for track use or bench racing.

-
Back