need converter stall suggestion.

-

340Dust-her

Reaction score
340 engine with mild cam and dual port intake w/ 600 carb.
Torqueflight 6(904) transmission(rebuilt) w/ 3.55 rear gears.

I was thinking 2400 stall? This is mainly for street use and wouldnt hurt for fuel economy. Thanks.

i suggest you give dynamic,ptc and ultimate a call and see what they recomend and go with what you feel most comfortable with. it will probably be alot higher then you think with the latest converter technology . what ever you do don't put an off the shelf converter in the car. get one that is built for your combo. yes they are more money but you can not believe the difference in performance (street driving and at the track) that a good converter will give you.

I plan on installing a coverter that my friend rebuilds. He knows his stuff. On the plus side, I'll be saving $400,lol. He does use quality stuff so im not worried about that. Reason I ask here, is because Im not sure the exact specs on the cam, since My brother replaced it sometime in the 90's. He vaguely remembers it being a "purple" camshaft, but there is a variety of em.

qestion for ya. what does your friend do to rebuild them and change the stahl speed? if all he does is bend a few fins here and there then run like hell. that is an old school way of raising the stahl speed of a converter and it won't be very efficient especially on the street. those types always seem to generate more heat and slip more and you lose driveability with them. saving $400 isn't always the best way to go.

you really need to figure out what cam is in it before you can pick the ideal stahl speed.

qestion for ya. what does your friend do to rebuild them and change the stahl speed? if all he does is bend a few fins here and there then run like hell. that is an old school way of raising the stahl speed of a converter and it won't be very efficient especially on the street. those types always seem to generate more heat and slip more and you lose driveability with them. saving $400 isn't always the best way to go.

you really need to figure out what cam is in it before you can pick the ideal stahl speed.

Yep! I agree... $650 dynamic converter was money well spent

problem is you don't realize how much difference a good converter will actually make until you put one in.. i know i didn't.

I can attest to all of that! And I would use caution with Dynamic converters. Their advertised "stall" speeds on their website are way, way off. Mancini racing advertises more accurate specs for the Dynamic products.
Lenny at Ultimate will be away due to emergency until late the week of may 19th. Len is VERY detail oriented. Good luck with your converter

If you are going to use the car for mainly street use I wouldn't worry to much about a high stall converter. If all that was changed was the cam you will probably will be ok with the stock converter, plus the 340's had a pretty sick cam from the factory. The last 3-360's I built and 1 318, I used a stock grind mopar 340 cam.

I can attest to all of that! And I would use caution with Dynamic converters. Their advertised "stall" speeds on their website are way, way off. Mancini racing advertises more accurate specs for the Dynamic products.
Lenny at Ultimate will be away due to emergency until late the week of may 19th. Len is VERY detail oriented. Good luck with your converter

Your converter should be custom taylored to your car anyway. Off the shelf units of any kind are a hit and miss. 4.10 and 3.23 will stall at totally different levels, weight, hp, torque, etc, etc...too many variables

I wanted mine to stall at 3500, mine will footbrake to that, and flash at 3900 just like i wanted it. Ordered it straight from Dynamic, took down all my car's specs and tweaked it

If you are going to use the car for mainly street use I wouldn't worry to much about a high stall converter. If all that was changed was the cam you will probably will be ok with the stock converter, plus the 340's had a pretty sick cam from the factory. The last 3-360's I built and 1 318, I used a stock grind mopar 340 cam.

it all depends what "purple" cam is in it. a 284/484 and a 292/508 wont work very well with a stock converter. a 280/474 and smaller will run ok with a stock converter but will definatley benifit from a converter built to the rest of your combo.

My Demon with the 318 had a purple 484, and it was pretty rough with the stock converter..........didn't like it at all.........a little stall would have compensated nicely, especially the way I drove....stop and start, low rpm...:read2:

-
Back