Need drivetrain input on a 68 Dart project

-

jeryst

Reaction score
I recently picked up a 68 Dart that I want to make into a GTS clone. The car was originally a 6-cyl car. I have three engines that I can choose from: 340, 440, or 331 Hemi. I plan on using a 727 tranny. Which engine I choose will be a matter of overall cost in regards to what will need to be changed in order to handle any of the engines, vs performance and resale value.

I would like to know what will need to be changed in order to handle each of the engines as far as other drivetrain components are concerned.

If you really want to clone the car then a 340 would be the obvious choice. You`ll have to change the drivetrain, K member, wheels, brakes, suspension, rear end, hood, etc.. There`s a lot involved when going from a /6 car to a GTS. If you`ve got the time and money, I`m sure you can find plenty of help here. Good luck!

Don't use the hemi it will be pig unless you put lots of $ into it. There is nothing worse for our Mopar cause that a slow hemi.

Like Longgone says, if you are going to make a GTS clone use the 340. If you want a play car that will be the fastest with the least amount of effort then use the 440.
340's and the 331,354,392 hemis are getting harder to find and will do nothing but go up in value if you keep them in dry storage. The Rat Rod crowd whats those old hemis pretty bad. If you found the right buyer you could fund most of you project with the hemi sale.

Chuck

jeryst said:
I recently picked up a 68 Dart that I want to make into a GTS clone. The car was originally a 6-cyl car. I have three engines that I can choose from: 340, 440, or 331 Hemi. I plan on using a 727 tranny. Which engine I choose will be a matter of overall cost in regards to what will need to be changed in order to handle any of the engines, vs performance and resale value.

I would like to know what will need to be changed in order to handle each of the engines as far as other drivetrain components are concerned.

340 all the way - want a little more punch depending on condition of 340 - go 416cubes. 500hp and very streetable.

K member does not need to be changed if you go with a /6 - 340/360 engine mount conversion.
assuming it has a 7 1/4 now, find an A-body 8 1/4 diff or 8 3/4". A new driveshaft will be required. TTi make a real nice set of headers for this combo, as period manifolds are very hard to find - and expensive.
A 340 clone will have good resale vale.

Yepp, the 340 will take care of it. If you compare cost, availibility and value the 340 would be the most interesting. When you rev it up you know what I mean

-
Back