Need Early A-Body slant 6 Oil pan

-

aj2991

Reaction score
Hey Guys! New here to FABO.

So, about two years ago I acquired a '65 Barracuda. Has a 225 Slant and its NOT the original motor. The car was originally a 273 2bbl. The slant 6 thats currently in the car is from the early 70s.... Some idiot butchered my K-Frame to get this motor to fit because of the changes that were made to the oil pans on the slant 6's throughout the years for the newer and bigger K-Frames. Luckily, I was able to find one out of a '64 valiant thats in great shape. Ill probably have the old one reinforced where the cut was made, being that the rest of it is in good shape.

Now here's the catch,

I met a gentleman who has a built slant out of a '69 barracuda for sale at a good price. This oil pan on this motor is also different on this due to it being for the later year A-Bodies. Being that my car pretty much was all setup for the 6, Im going to keep it that way since it makes for a nice cruiser.

Would any of you happen to know where i could acquire the right oil pan for the Early A-Bodies like for my '65 Fish?

Thanks Guys!

AJ

I recall a post w/ photos of various slant six oil pans, either here or on slantsix.org. I don't recall early A's being different, with the main difference between car and truck pans. I know that V-8 oil pans were unique in 64-65 cars, with a depression for the steering linkage. Anyway, slant parts are easy and cheap. People give away whole engines since so many change to V-8's.

I recall a post w/ photos of various slant six oil pans, either here or on slantsix.org. I don't recall early A's being different, with the main difference between car and truck pans. I know that V-8 oil pans were unique in 64-65 cars, with a depression for the steering linkage. Anyway, slant parts are easy and cheap. People give away whole engines since so many change to V-8's.

No, there are like over 6 different pans for the slant 6 and the late 60's pans do not fit the early A-bodies as the steering linkages will hit the pan with out the proper scalloped pan.

oilpans.jpg

Thanks stonethk. I currently have the oil pan off my 64 slant. I'll try to match to above and post a photo when I get home.

Sorry, I forgot. Photos of the oil pan that was on my 1964 Valiant w/ slant engine. I don't know the history, but the block as 3 freeze plugs so is fairly old, though I recall the block# decoded as later (~1967), but seems there is sketchy info on slants.

Best I can tell is my oil pan looks most like the upper left one in the collage of pans. Not sure I see all the same bends, but could be the angle. Perhaps the large recessed area on the driver's side of mine is the "clearance for steering" mentioned.

Attachments

• SAM_0773.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 339
  • SAM_0774.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 279
  • SAM_0775.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 294
Bill that is the same pan that came stock on my '64 Valiant that has always been in my family and never had the motor out.

You can tell a '63-66 pan by the funky dent in the side, and the fact that the flat section in the front is longer than the one in the back. Every other pan is more nearly centered.

Also there are no numbers on the bottom of the pan like the later ones.

The correct pan is actually somewhat hard to find. Even harder to find is a matching pickup. The later pickup will work but will not be close enough to the bottom of the pan and the angle will be off.

robertop,
Thanks for the great info. Sounds like I shouldn't even consider an after-market chrome pan for my 64, since the steering might interfere, plus the pickup would be wrong (who would have thought?). I already de-rusted, knocked out dents, and painted my original pan anyway. As far as I know, the block is original, but the casting # appeared to match later years in a table posted here.

-
Back