Need everyone's oppinion

-
I have to agree with crackedback on this one...the 8-3/4 will definatly be enough for you, but if your gonna build it and you dont have an 8-3/4, maybe you should do it once...i sometimes think man i shouldve looked for a dana instead of paying the money for all the stuff i did to the 8-3/4 i have...in the end i could have had a dana for the same money and been set for life....as far as gears go 3.73 they will give you some more oomph off the line and should be okay for cruising....and keep showing those guys at your high school what muscle is about- im 19 years old as well and cant wait to get the scamp on the road to school all these ricers...they keep telling me they are going to beat me in mommys integra...i just feel bad for them when the day comes that i smoke em...stay mopar!

The beauty of the 8-3/4 is you can have center sections with different gear ratios that easily be swapped out depending on whether you want to gear it for go or for economy.

I am already wishing my new 3:55 geared 8-1/4 was a third member type for that reason. My car's long distance travel days are over:)

For the money though, you aren't gonna break an 8-1/4 either unless you are a member of the CarCraft wrecking crew:munky2:

That's one reason why i didn't want to get an 8 1/4 unless it was the only one available to me. I like the idea of being able to change out the center section depending upon what i was wanting to do with the car.

One more question, which center section do you guys recommend? I've got a guy out of Minnesota who will sell me an 8 3/4 out of a 68 barracuda for $400 and some sort of posi with it. He didn't say which one he had though...

One more question, which center section do you guys recommend? I've got a guy out of Minnesota who will sell me an 8 3/4 out of a 68 barracuda for $400 and some sort of posi with it. He didn't say which one he had though...

Even though the 489 case carries the largest pinion gear I`ve seen most of the racers using the 742 case. There`s much debate about which is the better one to use. The old style sure grips with clutches, (pre-1970), are rebuildable, so from a practical standpoint they would be better to use.

I agree you should go with the 8 3/4.
But then again, NOTHING looks as good as a Dana under any mopar......and you will only have to buy it once!:evil4:
Tom.

I'm building up a 8.75 489 with 3.55:1 gears for the Demon street car. It has a mild 4bbl 318 in it. Have a pal who ran a small pinion 8.75 with 3.91s and slicks behind a 440+6 in a 70 Cuda. Car ran under 11:00 once we got it to hook up. No problem with the rear.

If it were a Hemi or mountain motor drag car, then the Dana make sense. Otherwise, I recommend the 8.75.

Got another question for all the mopar faithful, If i get a pig with a cone set up in it, can i put a clutch suregrip in it? Also will i have to change out my springs to accommodate for the 8 3/4

I think any 8.75 Sure Grip will fit in any 8.75 chunk (except maybe the early 65 down(?) housing, not sure on that). As far as changing springs, the axle housing will bolt up as long as the spring perches are the same center to center distance as a stock A Body. You'll need new shock plates & U bolts because the axle tubes are larger in diameter.

Well the axle i am looking at is coming out of a 68 cuda so i assume that it'll physically bolt up to my 73 duster? Also my dad and i were discussing the shock mounts, he doesn't seem to think that I need new ones. Any info is greatly appreciated

-
Back