need for scater shield

-

cudaman51

Reaction score
I am putting together an a body 340 4spd with a medium cam and a rev limiter set around 6500. do i really need a scatter shield. I already have one but the more i look at it it really looks like it will be a pane in the ***.

I don't know, do you really need your feet?
Seriously, most clutch explosions are a direct result of shock loading and high RPM launches. Obviously most cars don't have scatter shields and get along just fine. Therfore, whether you need 1 or not depends on your intended use of the car. If you're going to drag race it, I would think that the additional safety factor and the the fact that you already have 1 would outweigh the hassle of using it.

Just my $.02

I would run one. My Dart don't have one but when I do the rebuild on it I am going to put one in. From the looks of her the PO should have put one in. There are bad scares on the fire wall and floor and trans tunnel. There is a big hole that was patched right where both the passenger and drivers feet would be. Don't realy know what happened but some one must have been hurt. Must have scared them too as when I got the car the 4 speed was gone and a 727 was in it's place. I put a 4 speed back in though.

If you dont have an SFI approved flywheel and your engine is capable of revving higher, then yes. If you have the flywheel, you "should" be ok but if you run fast enough the rule book says you need it anyway

Call me a worry freak, but i wouldnt run a street car without one, let alone a track car

you can find used ones for a little more than factory stuff, and i think the extra coin is worth your legs

Here is a flywheel coming apart in an RX7. Not really reving that hard and look at the damage. Those flywheels and clutches are tiny and lightweight compared to our stuff. Imagine what a V8 flywheel wouldda done. There's no garrantee that the scattershield will hold one back. It will slow it down for sure though. I wouldn't run a hot street or race car without one. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBONiZ6Hv1c"]YouTube - rx7 flywheel explosion[/ame]

ok thanks guys i wont wine any more about it being a pane in the ***. its the smart thing to do

Hoooooooooooooly chit! Nice video.

Yea, Cudaman, I run a scattersheild myself and have since the car went into the low 13's with the 318 in it. Considering I was shifting at 6500 or so, I figured it would be a good idea, which thank the lord above, hasn't had to prove itself yet.

I have a Lakewood and it is really heavy thick steel. The pain in the butt part is lifting it up and securing it down with one bolt to hang it. After that, the second bolt is easy and the rest are cake.

-
Back