need front hub for 65 dart

-

timbolia

65Wagon
Reaction score
does anyone know where I can get one of these? or does anyone have one they want to sell? My wagon ate the bearing and I ground up a bunch of the hub. This is my daily transportation so I need this as soon as I can get it.

Thanks
Tim

1963-1966 Darts/Valiants/Barracudas all used the same system. In fact I believe all the way through 69 as long as the 9" brake drum was used! if you continue to have a problem, pm me I'll check to see what I can do.

Attachments

• 65 Dart in fall of 08 #2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 186
  • 65 at Milan Barb pix 2006.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 224
I have what you need ley me know what side you need. I will be in Long Beach tomorrow and can bring it with me.

Thanks for the info. A fellow member says he has spares from converting his 69 to disc. They are 9". So they should fit right?

Tim

Hi, so I picked up the free parts from a fellow FABO member last night. (the best people are here) I got the whole spindle drum and everything because he had upgraded his 69 valiant to 10" discs from a Cordoba. Well I go to get the hub out and it seems attached to the drum. Mine is separate. The free one is a little rusty but it did not want to come apart. Do I need a different part still? Here are some blurry phone pics, my kid took them because my hands were covered in grease. The first one is the drum off the wagon. The next 3 are the new one. And the last blurry pic is the hub still on the wagon.

What can I do?

Attachments

• IMG00007-20110125-0738.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG00008-20110125-0739.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG00009-20110125-0739.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG00010-20110125-0739.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG00012-20110125-0740.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 161
Typically you have to machine a bit to get the drum to separate from the hub, you'll just put the hub and drum on as an assembly.

The drums were full of water from sitting outside. Do I need to get it cleaned up? Like at a brake shop or something?

Oh man, I feel really bad. I didn't realize that last week long deluge had gotten to them. I am really sorry about that Tim.

Sorry I have not gotten back on this. My work computer blew up on me.
I did not want to sound like a whiner. I put the drum on and have been driving the wagon. It seems to be fine. I think the pads will rub off the surface rust in the drum.
I really appreciate the parts. The bearings were well greased and the water did not seem to get to that stuff. The wagon is rolling great and stopping fine.

If you ever do need to separate the drum from the hub, on later models (~68 up?) just throw the drum down on a hard surface many times and the hub should drop out. I have done it on asphalt parking lots (out of view).

Earlier models ('65 I know) usually have swaged studs, meaning the factory crimped the studs at the drum to help hold it on. You can grind the crimps off with a Dremel tool or hacksaw. There was even a special cutting tool for that. I once beat the crimpled studs thru w/ a hammer in a JY to recover the hub from a bad drum. Worst-case, you could cut off the studs flush then drill them out.

Sorry I have not gotten back on this. My work computer blew up on me.
I did not want to sound like a whiner. I put the drum on and have been driving the wagon. It seems to be fine. I think the pads will rub off the surface rust in the drum.
I really appreciate the parts. The bearings were well greased and the water did not seem to get to that stuff. The wagon is rolling great and stopping fine.

Oh no man, nothing like that. I just thought they were in better condition. All of that stuff was pretty new when I took it off the car. I just felt bad about that.

-
Back