Need Harmonic Balancer for Slant Six (URGENT!)

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not going to get into a bidding war-there's your man

Yeah,that's fine.I was planning to retire off of that sale.Guess I will just go back to work.

cost a small fortune to send it there i imagine...

Yeah Im waiting (and am going to be shocked) with the estimated shipping cost... might be double the price of the damper itself ;)

But dont worry, the seller gets what he wanted for the damper, and I, the buyer, get the honor of paying the postman :)

Never said if it was for a cast or forged crank. They are different you know?

PM slantsixdan and ask him. I might have put my foot in my mouth. I am assuming that since the V8s are different the cast and forged crank slants would be different. I know the internal balanced V8s have steel cranks and external balanced ones have cast. They each carry a different balancer. I have one of each. I will ship you one for the cost of shipping if you don't hear back from the first person. I am going to use an SFI approved 440 balancer on mine. I just took off one from a forged crank engine and have two unassembled cast crank engines. Make sure you send me a PM to let me know cause I might miss a reply here.

PM slantsixdan and ask him. I might have put my foot in my mouth. I am assuming that since the V8s are different the cast and forged crank slants would be different. I know the internal balanced V8s have steel cranks and external balanced ones have cast. They each carry a different balancer. I have one of each. I will ship you one for the cost of shipping if you don't hear back from the first person. I am going to use an SFI approved 440 balancer on mine. I just took off one from a forged crank engine and have two unassembled cast crank engines. Make sure you send me a PM to let me know cause I might miss a reply here.

Dont the V8s have diff balancers compared to the Slants?

Dont the V8s have diff balancers compared to the Slants?

No. Not the 440. It is a direct swap. Only difference is the timing marks are different in the balancer. You can correct for this by either making a new mark on the passenger side of the timing cover, or getting some timing tape and lining zero back up where it was on the old balancer. But as I said, I am not sure now on the differences between cast and forged. Ask Dan. He will know.

Never said if it was for a cast or forged crank. They are different you know?
Cast and forged crank makes no difference on those early 6's. They didn't have that nonsense until '76 or so. Year matters though.... A '67 balancer is different than the '66 and earlier one as the timing marks are in a different spot.

Small block balancer: No.

Balancer different for forged vs. cast: Yes, but interchangeable. I have a '77 truck balancer (1-piece 3-groove unit, VERY HEAVY, for cast crank) on my '73 w/forged crank. No problems. Many others have used the '76-up balancers on '76-down cranks with zero problems reported.

Forged crank last year and cast crank first year was '76.

Timing mark location is different for '60, for '61-'62, for '63-'65, and for '66-up. This does not affect balancer interchangeability; at worst you just have to make a new mark.

Suggest you get one of the new Australian-made dampers rather than futz with a used one that will likely have slipped already.

Small block balancer: No.

Balancer different for forged vs. cast: Yes, but interchangeable. I have a '77 truck balancer (1-piece 3-groove unit, VERY HEAVY, for cast crank) on my '73 w/forged crank. No problems. Many others have used the '76-up balancers on '76-down cranks with zero problems reported.

Forged crank last year and cast crank first year was '76.

Timing mark location is different for '60, for '61-'62, for '63-'65, and for '66-up. This does not affect balancer interchangeability; at worst you just have to make a new mark.

Suggest you get one of the new Australian-made dampers rather than futz with a used one that will likely have slipped already.
One minor correction.........'63-6 is the same one and '67 started another type. Also, if you use the multigroove type from the late 70's, it's recommended that you use a bolt to retain it. They did make a genuine slant 6 balancer bolt but they're not real easy to find but you can also use a small block bolt with a couple extra washers under it instead. I'd do that to any slant 6 just for that extra piece of mind.

raising the dead, but the forged and cast crank dampers are interchangeable EXCEPT the cast crank/manual trans equipped damper is different, no idea why (but required a bolt). There is a pic of a TSB that states running change on forged/cast crank motors. Craig over at slantsix pointed it out.
damper3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back