need help 68 dart ip/ instrument cluster removal

-

chubsgts

Reaction score
so my b bodys just pulled out i tryed for a bit and could not get mine to pull out and didnt want to hurt the pins till i knew better

so whats the trick theres a tab that hangs lower then the ip behind my metal filler panel how can i clear all this
undo the the wires first that i cant see or get to

little inside info would be great

thanks

I pull the steering column down. Pull the bolts out of the floor plate, there's one bolt down by the brake pedal that goes "up" into another bracket, and the two nuts under the little short trim piece in the center. Check the slack on the column wiring connector, and it should lay right down.

The cluster has to pull "out and down" from the top, sort of hinge downwards, as the bottom of the cluster casting "hooks" down over the bottom edge of the mounting cutout.

Be sure you unhook the battery, and be darn careful of the fragile connectors on the two PC boards. You'll have to first reach up and unclip/ unscrew the speedo cable, and when you get enough slack, unbolt the ammeter nuts.

can i unbolt the amp metter nuts when i get it further out or not enuff slack

and i take it dropping the column is so we can unhook every thing

Slack just depends on the car. 'S why I said be careful of the PC board connectors. You'll just have to see what you have.

Great advice there...I also like to remove the steering wheel from the column to make access easier and if the cluster is tough to pull out once it's freed from dash,you'll need to detach the wiring harness from the clip at the back of the cluster.This frees up the cluster to pull out far enough to get good access to the connectors that you have to remove from the circuit boards.I pry those up a bit at time going from side to side...be very patient and you should be ok.

One other suggestion is to put some masking tape below where the cluster opening so the dashboard paint does'nt get scratched when the cluster is being maneuvered around.

There should be enough slack to unbolt the ammeter nuts with the cluster partially out.

If the car is column shift, set the park brake and pull the shifter down to neutral. Remove 3 fasteners at the top of the steering coulmn and let it drop. Cover the column with a shop towel to prevent scaring the paint. Remove one screw from the fuse box. Lift the fuse box up about an inch and set it back about an inch. It should hold itself against the back of its hanger. Next pull the headlight switch to full on. Reach in at the right side of the switch and push the small release button so the stem can be pulled all the way out. Remove the bezel nut from the switch and leave it lay in the dash. Remove all the screws holding the panel in the dash.
Grab the speedo cable sheathe near the firewall and pull/push toward the instrument panel. You should find enough length in that cable to push the instrument panel part way out of the dash.
now you can disconnect the speedo cable and other connectors through the openings you've created.
I know all this isn't in correct order and it isn't how the factroy service manual says to do it but if you've done as many as I have with a bad back too...
I can't lay upside down in the drivers seat. I can drop down on one knee at the drivers door opening and reach in.
I leave both light switch and wiper switch in the dash rather than feck with their harness connectors Good luck

-
Back