Need Help at Carlisle...Ride in a Muscle Car!

-

burgmopar

Reaction score
Help! I've lost my 16 year old son to video games...

Oh, there was a time when he was excited to go to a car show...but due to shortcomings in time and money on my part, all I have are project and parts cars around here, nothing ready for the street or even close to bringing to a show.

I had a vendor space at Carlisle last year, and just sitting there in that 100+ degree heat was the final blow for him...
He's very frustrated with my desire to save all these parts and cars that eventually get sold to people finishing their cars...

My humble request: I'm looking for someone at Carlisle willing to give my son a ride in a REAL muscle car to reignite his passion for Mopars!
Big block, small block, I don't care!
Looking to put a mopar smile on his face again, before my father/son window closes completely! :glasses7:

Thanks in advance!
burg

Wish I could help you out. I appreciate what you're doing here, since my Dad got me into the hobby and worked to keep me away from the TV during my teenage years.

If I was heading down there, I'd throw you the keys and have you take him out yourself. Not that my car is the fastest, but it sure puts a smile on my face! lol

Good luckthis year! And I hope somebody heading there has the heart to do this for you.

-Mike

I will most likely be going to Carlisle, however the Dart isnt coming with me this time. Have some mechanical bugs to work out... Surely someone nearby can help out

I would do it if I was there.

Here's what happened to me last year at the Blue Suede Cruise at Norwalk.

Today's editorial:
It's finally gotten back to being a fun event again now that Good Guys is out of the picture and is under control of Bill Bader again. It's usually the most fun I have with my piece of junk all year. As many fun runs as you want and the tech is very lenient so all kinds of cars go down the quarter mile. Hot rods, street rods, rat rods, go carts, etc.

Anyway, I was in the burnout area waiting to run and a starting line worker came up to my window and asked how fast my car was. I said high 14's. He asks if I would mind taking a passenger down the track. Rats, I had just let the 318 cool for a couple hours and I wanted to make a balls out run and I didn't need any extra weight. Well, because I'm a nice guy I said OK and next thing I know the door opens and a young (16-18), and very cute girl gets in. I even had to show her how to fasten the 68 seat belt (no shoulder belt) and we went blasting off. (well...maybe ambled off) Driving back on the return road, I asked her name and if I could take her picture. So I have a shot of Jennifer with a big smile and a thumbs up sitting in the passenger seat. Never saw her again but I'm pretty sure she liked it.

My buddy was in the stands watching and said "What was that all about?"
I said I was just trying to convert the cute girls to Mopars. Come to think of it, she probably qualifies as a Mopar Babe now.

If the boy is into video games, he's probably very goal oriented. I lift weights and funny thing...the guys that come in scrawny and leave built are the ones that are breaking a video game habit. They're a very goal-oriented lot.

From what you describe about sitting at Carlisle, baking, well....What was the goal for him?
Parts cars, nothing able to be finished reasonably...What is the goal for him?

No money, no time, but plenty of project and parts cars? Well, I'm NOT trying to be mean here, but it sounds like the typical "Imma fix 'er up someday" syndrome. Too many dreams, and not enough dough. (remember, time and money are interchangeable, too)

My suggestion? Work on a firm goal for yourself, and if the boy is into video games, if you approach him with a firm, realistic, achievable goal that he can be a part of, he'll come back to you. No ride in a car does that; it'll just remind him of what's out of reach with you right now.

Ideally, you'd pare down the "stuff" in your life (Read: Sell all that project crap. You're probably never going to get to it anyway), and you might just end up with enough money, time, and space to get something done on the one car that is really important to you, and you might have someone ready to share that/those goals with you.

Remember, you can't change other people. You can change you.

Make a plan to get rid of the extra stuff and get something done on one car, and then ask him what he thinks...

If the boy is into video games, he's probably very goal oriented. I lift weights and funny thing...the guys that come in scrawny and leave built are the ones that are breaking a video game habit. They're a very goal-oriented lot.

From what you describe about sitting at Carlisle, baking, well....What was the goal for him?
Parts cars, nothing able to be finished reasonably...What is the goal for him?

No money, no time, but plenty of project and parts cars? Well, I'm NOT trying to be mean here, but it sounds like the typical "Imma fix 'er up someday" syndrome. Too many dreams, and not enough dough. (remember, time and money are interchangeable, too)

My suggestion? Work on a firm goal for yourself, and if the boy is into video games, if you approach him with a firm, realistic, achievable goal that he can be a part of, he'll come back to you. No ride in a car does that; it'll just remind him of what's out of reach with you right now.

Ideally, you'd pare down the "stuff" in your life (Read: Sell all that project crap. You're probably never going to get to it anyway), and you might just end up with enough money, time, and space to get something done on the one car that is really important to you, and you might have someone ready to share that/those goals with you.

Remember, you can't change other people. You can change you.

Make a plan to get rid of the extra stuff and get something done on one car, and then ask him what he thinks...

Ouch jos51700! Those were some Deep Thoughts right there.

Interesting comment about him being goal-oriented, that makes sense.
As long as the goal is short term and well defined, I think he's good.
He's a smart kid, and I've noticed he's doing more than just gaming, he's actually modded the game using JAVA programming language.

My comment about time and money wasn't an excuse, it was MY choice to put them both towards my family with no regrets. But, fast forward to today, and I feel my window is closing for father and son to enjoy this hobby together.

What is my goal? It was to collect these cars before they were crushed...They're not making any more of them, and most that have been completed are out of my reach ($$$). So, I decided that the first step was to get them, then go from there. I use the parts cars I'm not using myself to raise money for my projects...plus fellow members get parts they are looking for at reasonable prices, all because I made an effort to recycle them!

As for the original intention of the post, it was to get him encouraged again in the hobby, as it's not really out of reach...I have a 74 Valiant, 318 auto, that is perfect for a father/son project...It needs to be gone through, but I actually drove it home. However, I'm not interested in working on it without him.

That's why I'm asking for help from FABO...Hopefully, you haven't derailed my post...I wasn't looking for a life's lesson here, just a small act of kindness from a fellow FABO member.

burg

Ouch jos51700! Those were some Deep Thoughts right there.

Interesting comment about him being goal-oriented, that makes sense.
As long as the goal is short term and well defined, I think he's good.
He's a smart kid, and I've noticed he's doing more than just gaming, he's actually modded the game using JAVA programming language.

My comment about time and money wasn't an excuse, it was MY choice to put them both towards my family with no regrets. But, fast forward to today, and I feel my window is closing for father and son to enjoy this hobby together.

What is my goal? It was to collect these cars before they were crushed...They're not making any more of them, and most that have been completed are out of my reach ($$$). So, I decided that the first step was to get them, then go from there. I use the parts cars I'm not using myself to raise money for my projects...plus fellow members get parts they are looking for at reasonable prices, all because I made an effort to recycle them!

As for the original intention of the post, it was to get him encouraged again in the hobby, as it's not really out of reach...I have a 74 Valiant, 318 auto, that is perfect for a father/son project...It needs to be gone through, but I actually drove it home. However, I'm not interested in working on it without him.

That's why I'm asking for help from FABO...Hopefully, you haven't derailed my post...I wasn't looking for a life's lesson here, just a small act of kindness from a fellow FABO member.

burg

It's cool, and I appreciate your clarification. I see lots of people that try to get a kid interested in what they are interested in, (sounds like you were there, but it's slipping) but kids like goals and challenges, and I have better luck presenting it to them as a goal "I think we should do this and this and this and this, and do so for less than this $$$, and done by this time. What do you think? Can we do it?" and then stand back and let the kid put their creativity to work reaching the goal. (Be sure to listen to their input in the project, too)

I dig what you're doing with the parts cars, I just didn't know your background and from your original post, it sounded a lot like "Imma fix 'em up someday" guy talking. We all know that guy....

By the way, Props for taking an interest in spending time with your kid. Lots of parents kind of miss out on that these days.

I understand where you are coming from. The kids today live in a completely different paradigm than what we grew up in. Our project has dragged on longer due to me health and I see it in their eyes. Kids today are not long term planers. Luckily I have been feeling better..the car is coming along and their interest is up...

Good luck and I appreciate what you are doing with your son.

ian.

Thanks to all that replied to this thread!

However, after 300+ views, it is clear that I've crossed a line with members attending Carlisle by asking them to help my son.

I apologize for my incredibly selfish request...I'll figure out another way.

Thanks!
burg

However, after 300+ views, it is clear that I've crossed a line with members attending Carlisle by asking them to help my son.

Thanks!
burg

....................That's really too bad and very sad...............kim...........

I'll be there but I'm not bringing my car this year. It would have been one hell of a ride for him too. Sorry :(

If I were going, I'd give your son a ride. I don't see how you have crossed the line asking for someone to give him a ride? If a member gets offended by the request, it's their problem. Surely someone attending will be up to do it and if no one replies, I say take him anyways and find someone at the show. There's PLENTY of good guys out there who would be willing to do it in a heartbeat :D

I am also vending for the first time and my car is staying home. I have friends in VA maybe you can hook up and start something in your hometown.

My son drove a 72 Dart in high school when all the other kids had new cars. Fast forward, he was driving a BMW when he lived in Atlanta. no car now as he lives in Chicago

Thanks!
burg

Burg,

I don't think you crossed any line at all. A lot of guys are going and not bringing their cars. Keep up the quest, someone would be glad to help, I'm sure.

What part of VA you in? I checked your info but seems to be 2 places in VA. If your in ashburn, your less than an hour away from me and I`d give your kid a ride, save ya a long haul to carlisle. I give up on carlisle, tired of baking/burning, walking 20 mi. prices too high, etc.

I will be attending Carlisle Friday and Saturday with my 1964 Dodge Dart GT CV . I would be more than happy to give you and your son a ride. That being said I don't consider the Dart a "muscle car " , although it is a 273 V8 4 speed. So if you think your son would enjoy a ride pm me.

I don't see any line crossed. If i was going and with a car I would do this in a heart beat. Keep trying it will happen. Good luck!!!

I think it's quite the reasonable request. In fact, I believe making plans ahead of time is great

-
Back