Need help determining which hardware kit I should order..

-

POPS6T6

Reaction score
So I am in the process of rebuilding the rear end on my car. It is an 8 3/4 741 and I have no idea what car it came out of originally. It was on the "donor" car when I bought it (1966 Barracuda) . I am trying to rebuild the drum brakes on it, but I don't even know where to begin to order the hardware kit, brake shoess, cylinder or whatever else I need to rebuild these..any ideas/help identifying what I need? What would I measure or how would I know which parts to order?

Attachments

• WP_002415.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 221
  • WP_002417.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 215
  • WP_002419.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 206
Are these 10 inch or 9 inch drums?

Go to Rock Auto, look up: 1970 Dart; 340; ” drum brake hardware kit”; “brake adjuster cable”; and “wheel cylinders”.

This stuff was used for years into the 90’s on various models and trucks.

Problem is there were no drums on it...and of course I didn't think to measure anything before I tore it down for sandblasting and cleaning...story of my life!!

If you didn't discard the brake shoes measure there width ie 2 in, 1.75 and so on. Then measure the backing plate. With these two measurements you should be able to figue out which parts you need.

The shoes should be easy, since the standard Bendix design used on most cars. You just need to know the (missing) drum diameter and the shoe width. I think to rebuild the wheel cylinders all you need to know is the bore, though new cylinders are almost as cheap as a kit. Check PN's on rockauto and they probably just map to the cylinder bore. You have the later style self-adjusters. If you buy a "brake hardware kit" you get new ones and springs for ~$7/axle. As for the shoes, you need to know the diameter and width.

The drum may be trickier to figure. It isn't just the shoe width since some Mopars had bell-shaped drums that had a narrower width where the shoe acts. Another way to say this is that the wheel hub surface stuck out way past the shoes. We can't tell without a side view of your brakes & hub. Also measure the wheel centering hole that should match the thru hole in the drum center. Centric is good about giving almost all the dimensions of their drums, which will help. Check rockauto.

Looking at the pics they look like newer (69 ish or newer) 10 inch brakes. Measure the backing plate on the inside, should give you a good starting point. still a good rear end and brake setup.

What's the bolt circle on your axles? Small bolt pattern (5 on 4") only came with 10 X 1 3/4" brakes. Big bolt pattern (5 on 4 1/2") came with 10 X 2" or 11 X2 1/2" brakes. The small bolt pattern parts are getting scarce as hen's teeth and are priced accordingly. You may want to give some thought to having your axles redrilled for BBP and using those brakes because of parts cost. Matches the '73-'76 front discs too.

Start by measuring the bolt pattern....for some reason they look like the 4 1/2 pattern. If it is, it's probably a '65-7 B-body rear end. They're the only one that used the 10 X 1 3/4 brakes with the big bolt pattern wheels. Good luck finding those drums! It would be cheaper and easier to just get some 10 X 2 1/2 or 11 X 2 1/2 brakes and put them on the rear end instead.

Thanks for all the input guys.. Haven't measured the bolt pattern yet, I know I need to do that. I will measure everything and post a pic with measurements and hope to figure this out.

Well of course I forgot to measure the width of the brake pads, but here is what I have so far. They are the big bolt pattern rear (my front are small bolt pattern disk brakes but that is another story, now I need to figure out if I should or could go big bolt pattern on the front, not sure how much work that is changing that out). How do I know which drum and hardware kit to order based on these measurements or do I need more information?

Attachments

• WP_002415.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 151
Measured the brake pads..they are 2.5" wide...so what does anyone know what size drum and perhaps which rebuild parts kit I will need to order? Sorry, just no idea here and trying to get these ordered..

Sounds like you have 11 x 2.5 brakes. Parts for a 69 Chrysler Newport with this size brakes should work for researching parts.

If they measure 11 X 2 1/2" (measured from outside surface of the shoes through the center of the axle shaft) there are many applications that use that brakes size from B,C, and E bodies to trucks and vans. '69 and newer used ones with cooling fins but they will interchange in pairs with the earlier smooth ones.

-
Back