Need Help finding/figuring out half dead fuse box problem

-

jefflock

69 Dart 408 10.08 best pass so far
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Currently I'm helping out a friend working on a 74 Challenger. I realize it isn't an A body but I'm sure the wiring is about the same on most Mopars.
The car will function just fine part of the time but out the blue it will not even turn over. The dash gauges won't register at all. The head lights are very bright also. It appears half of the fuse doesn't have any voltage. Any idea where to look???????
Thanks, Jeff

This sounds like a typical major primary power distro problem. If the car still has a full current ammeter, might be there, or certainly in the problematic bulkhead connector. You need to rustle up a service manual...Let me see if I can look up some "stuff........................."

EDIT....these do not use a full current ammeter

FIND OUT if it has the dreaded seat belt interlock. If so, find the reset device under the hood.....a box the size of a horn relay with a reset button. Find the two yellowish wires and permanently splice those together

NOTE!!! The factory diagrams are not line drawings such as the older cars, it is therefore impossible to print "meaningful" sections of the diagram as they are all chopped up

Note that J2, dark blue is "ignition run" and that it appears at the fuse block

ignition.jpg

fuses.jpg

fuseblock.jpg

bulkhead.jpg

Last edited:
You probably (most likely)have a bad ground (grounds). Especially engine to chassis ground. look at you your grounds on the fire wall. IMHO.
Norm

As 67Dart273 said get out your FSM and a wiring diagram. look for where power comes from that feeds any of the circuits that have lost power and start checking voltages back to the feed. Also as circlepilot said check grounds.

I will take a look at all the ideas that you folks have suggested. Yes it does have the dreaded seat belt interlock and I will take care of that first. Unfortunately this car has been hacked to death. Previous owners weren't very kind to it. I have found several wire nuts under the dash holding wires together. Stuff used for house wiring. Started out as a 340 car and now has a 440. Was an A/C car but someone hacked all that stuff out also.

-
Back