Need help identifying wires!

-

g49bridges

Reaction score
This is a harness from a 74 /6 duster. Trying to identify the wires so I can redo the harness. It was not hooked up when I bought the car, and diagrams on mymopar.com aren't showing me what these are (or I'm just not seeing it). There's a blue wire from the bulkhead that splits into 3 blue wires. One goes to alt, one goes to voltage regulator, but the other one is what I can't find. It's got a gray wire with it, and both have female ends. Any help would be great. Also, wondering what color the choke wire is? Having trouble finding that too. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1751.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1752.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 163
You can download a free 73 factory manual at MyMopar. So far as I know, this is the latest one you can get free. The wiring MAY have differences.

And just so you know, that manual came from members HERE

Just added a couple of pics. Ballast resistor is on the drivers side, And these wires would've been on the passenger side of the engine as they run down to the alt and regulator. It's the only part of the wiring that isn't hooked up. The only thing I can find that isn't wired up is the choke, a/c, and oil pressure switch. But, these wires don't seem like they would hook up to any of those, except maybe the choke. Maybe I'm missing something on the diagrams? Just not seeing these...

The blue you are referring to is switched 12V "ignition run." This hookup varies over the years but it is the ONLY switched 12V source under the hood in "run." Generally you are on the right track. It might be that some wires were NEVER used. Generally,....

VR ign terminal

Ballast "key side" terminal

alternator field

choke if used

idle solenoid if used

distributor retard solenoid if used

On some years / some cars may be other "smog doo dads" At least on year had some sort of hookup through the speedo, "nox control"

The dark blue wires from the bulkhead connector should go to the ballast resistor, voltage regulator and alternator field. The gray wire with the bare metal connector looks like it goes to the oil pressure sender. Do not assume that wires that were tied together with those cable ties went to the same area.

The gray wire with the bare metal connector looks like it goes to the oil pressure sender. Do not assume that wires that were tied together with those cable ties went to the same area.

If it is gray, I'll agree, but it looks light green to me.

The gray/ green IS the oil sender (You can tell by the connector). Don't forget, these get heat faded, and if they've been in a junker with the hood off, they get SUN faded

Thanks for the help guys. I should have put on there that I put the zip ties on myself as I was stripping the factory wire sleeve to keep it all the same as I went. After further investigation, yes, the gray/green wire is the oil pressure switch, and the blue seems to be the choke wire.

the grey wire with special type terminal is infact oil pressure lamp or gauge. The added blue wire went to the electric choke assist controller. It was a small ceramic thing. Wire from it to choke element has a red connector. EPA said it was needed so the choke opened a little faster.
It was also a piece of crap since it wasn't weather sealed. Moisture got inside and ate it up. Factory thermal choke operates just fine without it.

The gray/ green IS the oil sender (You can tell by the connector). Don't forget, these get heat faded, and if they've been in a junker with the hood off, they get SUN faded

Actually, you can't tell by the connector. What you can't see inside the brown cover over blue wire's connector, is the exact same connector. That same sun and heat you addressed, it causes those brown covers to break and fall off.

Actually, you can't tell by the connector. What you can't see inside the brown cover over blue wire's connector, is the exact same connector. That same sun and heat you addressed, it causes those brown covers to break and fall off.

Nope. The one in the blue is a Packard 56 spade quick connect, and that is NOT what the oil terminal "is." Now you may be right, "that wire" might be the green field wire, but since it only goes one place, that's just too easy

Which brings up another point. ALL these can be easily traced with continuity and a correct (factory) diagram.

Nope. The one in the blue is a Packard 56 spade quick connect, and that is NOT what the oil terminal "is." Now you may be right, "that wire" might be the green field wire, but since it only goes one place, that's just too easy

Which brings up another point. ALL these can be easily traced with continuity and a correct (factory) diagram.

Good call; you've got me convinced. It's definitely the Oil Pressure wire. The exposed connector doesn't have the little piece that sticks off to keep it inside the plastic cover.

-
Back