Need help low oil presser

-
I could not wait to read all the posts so I could jump in here and say the same thing... I put a H.V. oil pump in a 360 and did this just because my cousin wanted it, this was about 11 years ago.. this engine ran great before we changed the cam and new water pump.....
It had good oil pressure, the gage would jump to 50 lbs and ran great till he drove it to school 8 miles away and it started ticking and oil pressure dropped and some times bottomed out :-( we was thinking something got clogged up and he parked it at school.. as he was dropping his niece off to school.
he walked across the street and had breakfast and walked back to the charger and started it up and bingo! oil pressure was back to 25 lbs because the engine was still warm, drove it about 3 miles and the oil gage started jumping again :-( Well being smart enough to realize that the H.V oil pump was emptying the stock pan we put a new stock oil pump back in and to this day it runs great :cheers: Yes!! High Volume oil pumps will suck the pan dry and has to wait for the oil to return to the 5 quart pan.

thats the first thing i would do.... put a stock volume pump back in. especially with a stock pan...

i have a 7qrt chrome pan on it i measured the pick up to pan spacing and its fine and yes i have a temp gauge and no its not getting to hot also put in a aluminum bigger radiator because they still had the /6 one in it when they changed the motor if it was the lifter bores or main feeds why would it not do it before and just now start makes no sense and the mains i checked looked fine also no loss of power at any time or non-normal motor vibration

Everything sounds good to go, it is possible that the new oil pump
is not doing it's job passably, I wish every new part was perfect but we all know this can happen, I think if it was me, I would put your other pump back on and see what happens. so sorry to hear you have this problem hitting you after the work you went threw

If the motor was rebuilt by someone else I would check to make sure they put the oil galley plug back in it by the distributor. If you pull the distributor your can reach in with your finger and on the right side by #7 cyl oil galley you should feel a plug in there. If they rebuilt the engine I have seen the oil galley plug not installed and it acts like what you are describing.

k i will check that later today and let you all know don't really want to go through the trouble of lifting the motor and dropping the steering control arm again so ill try a few things before i put the old pump back in lol

I have a HV pump in my 360 with a stock pan and windage tray. I run 6 qts oil in it and holds a constant 70# hot at 65 mph, while running 5w30 oil in it. I have not had any issues ever running a HV pump on a street motor. It could be possible that you have a bad pump, or the mount cracked somehow when it was installed.

Check clearances, then, if you want the hv pump; put a stock spring in bypass, that will keep oil in the pan.

-
Back