Need help on choosing electric fuel pump for carbed 5.9

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
I've always been a mechanical fuel pump guy, till now I guess.

Putting a carbed 5.9 in my 68 Dart.
Wondering what electric fuel pump to get, where to mount it, etc.
Would love some input, and maybe some pictures.
I'm planning on using a return style regulator and running a line back to the tank.
And running all new hard line from the tank to the engine bay. I will be running my Edelbrock 1406, so single inlet carb, on top of an Edelbrock airgap manifold.
Looking at pumps on Jegs, so many choices.

I like my Carter rotary, and I mounted it on the inside of the frame rail just behind the axle.
I run 3/8 nylon 12 EFI line for the feed and return both.
Racing regulations do not permit over a certain amount of non steel line, just so you know that.
Mild 5.9 with an Eddie 1406.

I've used a holley black and an aero 1000 on my car. No issues with either.

I like the new electric pumps that are RPm/load dependent. Might be worth checking out.

I am using and Edelbrock electric fuel pump for my set up. Same set up as yours in a B body.

Purchased the pump and the relay kit. I find it pretty quiet.

I like the old school Carter 4601HP. You'll need a regulator and a return ain't a bad idea.

I like the old school Carter 4601HP. You'll need a regulator and a return ain't a bad idea.
I was planning on doing a return style regulator and a line back to the tank. Going to run new 3/8" hard line.
Can I use the original 5/16" line for the return? Or do i need to go 3/8" with that too?

FWIW, no regulator needed for the Edelbrock pump. I did a return line still since the Magnum has one stock @ 1/4 inch I think. It is small and works well. I also used a replacement fuel filter with 3 nipples.. Helps keep the fuel cooler and the pump working not so hard.

I like my Carter rotary, and I mounted it on the inside of the frame rail just behind the axle.
I run 3/8 nylon 12 EFI line for the feed and return both.
Racing regulations do not permit over a certain amount of non steel line, just so you know that.
Mild 5.9 with an Eddie 1406.
X2 on the Carter rotary.. Either way you go, mounting a rubber insulation pad does wonders, to cut down vibrational noise.

I was planning on doing a return style regulator and a line back to the tank. Going to run new 3/8" hard line.
Can I use the original 5/16" line for the return? Or do i need to go 3/8" with that too?

The return is usually one step down from the inlet side. So in my car for example I run #10 AN inlet side and #8 return.

Comments inside the quote
I've always been a mechanical fuel pump guy, till now I guess.
So what's changed? Would it not be cheaper and easier to convert that cam nose to drive a mechanical?or is that not possible in this case?

Putting a carbed 5.9 in my 68 Dart.
Wondering what electric fuel pump to get, where to mount it, etc.
Would love some input, and maybe some pictures.
I'm planning on using a return style regulator and running a line back to the tank.
And running all new hard line from the tank to the engine bay. I will be running my Edelbrock 1406, so single inlet carb, on top of an Edelbrock airgap manifold.
Looking at pumps on Jegs, so many choices.

Last edited:
Where the heck did those dots come from?!?! LMAO!!!!

AJ, also realize that it isn't a simple cover pulley swap. The serpentine crank pulley it s part of the balancer.

So we're into it for a balancer, a pulley set, timing cover, new alternator, bolts & brackets & belt. P/S stuff not included.

If it is not on hand, it is a lot to purchase.

The return is usually one step down from the inlet side. So in my car for example I run #10 AN inlet side and #8 return.

Just in case it helps anyone doing the same kind of stuff, this is what I did.
I put the 3/8 nylon EFI line for the feed and return both and a pressure gauge in the feed line to watch the pressure.
Then I added a restrictor orifice in the return line until the feed pressure was where it needed to be. (5-6lbs) in my case.
Then I took the gauge back off and put it away, and if the pressure were to vary to the point it caused a problem I would see it on the A/F gauge.
Been that way for close to a year without a single problem with it.

But to answer the question on using the old feed as a return, yes you can and it works just fine.

5/16 is plenty big.

To answer AJ/FormS question.
I wanted to keep the serpentine belt system, so no place to mount a mechanical on the magnum front cover.

FWIW, no regulator needed for the Edelbrock pump. I did a return line still since the Magnum has one stock @ 1/4 inch I think. It is small and works well. I also used a replacement fuel filter with 3 nipples.. Helps keep the fuel cooler and the pump working not so hard.

So the third nipple on the filter feeds the return line?

Yes, I used a replacement filter from the auto store for my '79 Dodge Magnum.
Picture?

Filter
image.jpg
image.jpg

Your welcome. I didn't have any room inboard the frame rail. None! It is not ideal or pretty, but it works and solved the mechanical fuel pump problem. It also fills the carb fuel bowls in about 5 seconds from dead empty.

If you want quiet do an in-tank walblo or something.
I just run a holley blue and a cheapo mr.gasket reg. You could get the summit equiv with a return reg for not much over $120-ish.

-
Back