Need Help on Fluid choice

-

67_Slimer

Real Hot Rods don't shift themselves.
Reaction score
I have an 833 in my Dart. Well built 340 and aggressive driver :p I've been running the Sta-Lube 85W90 hypoid gear oil in mine. When I just went to purchase more , it looks like it has been discontinued.
1) Am I wrong that it's been discontinued?
2) If so , what is a good equivalent oil to run in there or the proper fluid ? Was that even a good fluid to run in it?
Thank you in advance.

The Lucas is nice stuff..

IMG_0191.jpeg

I just use 85W90 in mine. That's just me. Why Hypoid? Thought that was for Posi in rear diff.
I had a guy that specialized in 833s and for some reason he recommended that. I'm not sure why. Looks like it's not really that big of a deal. Thank you.

I have an 833 in my Dart. Well built 340 and aggressive driver :p I've been running the Sta-Lube 85W90 hypoid gear oil in mine. When I just went to purchase more , it looks like it has been discontinued.
1) Am I wrong that it's been discontinued?
2) If so , what is a good equivalent oil to run in there or the proper fluid ? Was that even a good fluid to run in it?
Thank you in advance.

Kind of a can of worms question, because there’s so many varied opinions.
I have to agree with the Lucas if you want a good quality product.

For what it’s worth, when I ran older manual transmissions I would customize the fluid mix depending on how the trans reacted.
Some work great with 85/90 and some worked better with 30wt, and then some even better with ATF.
It depended on how it shifted mostly.

Kind of a can of worms question, because there’s so many varied opinions.
I have to agree with the Lucas if you want a good quality product.

For what it’s worth, when I ran older manual transmissions I would customize the fluid mix depending on how the trans reacted.
Some work great with 85/90 and some worked better with 30wt, and then some even better with ATF.
It depended on how it shift
Thank you , makes sense. Car is street driven but power shifting happens from time to time.

I too experimented years ago with 80-90 and Redline Synthetic. I really didn't notice much. I don't drive my ride much in the winter so I'm good.

I just use 85W90 in mine. That's just me. Why Hypoid? Thought that was for Posi in rear diff.
POSI? Thats a 4 letter Chevy term. :rofl: Anyway, I remember having ATF in my 74 360 Duster 833, & I'm pretty sure it came from the factory that way.

POSI? Thats a 4 letter Chevy term. :rofl: Anyway, I remember having ATF in my 74 360 Duster 833, & I'm pretty sure it came from the factory that way.

Not sure the old gears and bearings were tight enough for ATF, but it would certainly shift a lot easier in colder weather and it will be a lot noisier.

I looked @ brewers' site and they recommend Brewers recommends
GL4SL ONE GALLON STA-LUBE 85W-90 WEIGHT GEAR OIL
Get a gallon jug and you have all you need. You can get it at Napa and Walmart.

-
Back