Need help on mounting radio.

-

Mick Semantel

Reaction score
Hey wankers! I need your help on a very important decision. I bought a new radio and debating on taking the old stock A.M. radio out. The problem is that I'll have to cut the stock dash to make this new deck fit. Or, should I mount it under the dash and leave the old radio in. What have you guys done? I've also explored the glove box, but think its too much of a pain. Throw some pic's in too so I can admire your creative skills and to give me idea's.

Mount it in the glove box or under the seat. That way it is hidden and does not make your car look cheap.

Do anything but cut the dash. If you do you are a wanker.

Heres my answer to the radio.......8)

faucet pics 799.jpg

I got the stereo holder out of a 90's Mazda pick up. It sits perfectly on the hump right under the dash under the original stereo. WORKS PERFECT!!!!! Simply perfect. And they will take numerous different sizes of decks without having to cut it at all. And they also have a delete panel if you do have to cut you just cut the panel and screw it back on. It is wonderful. This one is just on the floor of my toyota right now. But it should give you an idea. The deck that is in there is one of those old detachable face ones.

stereo holder001.jpg

stereo holder002.jpg

I just record my own and play it and use the am for weather and the oldies.
I hid the speakers in the picnic basket. It may not be a screamer but it sure sounds good.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv%20015.jpg

fabo666.jpg

ebay402%20057.jpg

I haven't completed it yet, but I plan to mount the amp in the trunk, rear speakers only (maybe front), place my MP3 player in the ashtray and run the cable all the way back to the amp. I've seen the MP3 to RCA jack cables up to 25 feet. Think of all the wiring that will be avoided. Although my dash was hacked some, I have the original AM radio in there now. With the MP3, I get FM radio, 8 gigs of recorded music plus it hold videos...that way I only have to do one burnout and every other time some smart a** says something, I'll show the video....reduces the risk of tickets.

I ended up cutting one of my dashes and was really happy with how it looked. It's your car, if you can make a clean/factory looking cut, then go for it. I also have an AC woodgrain dash from a '71 that's goin in my '70 and I am very reluctant to cut it...I may make something to go on the hump that will be able to hold a radio.

Thank you for all of your responses. I went to Best Buy today and bought a pair of 6x9 speakers. Apparently they dont sell kits from the store to install the deck. Looks like I'll have to look on-line. Someone did suggest making a console. I had never thought of that.

The DIN bay is and has been industry standard for quite a while. No one knows what it might change to in years to come. Cut it if you want just be aware you or someone may wish to undo what you did. It'll a whole heck of a lot of effort and expense to put it back original again. The prices on those repop rallye bezels is a perfect example.

Good point Redfish. Memike, great idea on the picnic basket! I got some brackets and will mount it under the dash. I will send pics when I am done. Thank you for your help and advice. You guys are all fantastic.

Mick

-
Back