need help RAD REPAIR ? & stripped brass fitting on radiator/trans line 1972 dart 318

-

moparjon

Reaction score
ok, so one of the brackets on the radiator got loose from the weld and the whole RAD went into the fan , cutting a bit into the rad causing a hole or holes in the rad . antifreeze shooting out alot . question one is , is this something that can be repaired by a rad repair shop ? and Q #2 is i stripped the head ( made it round ) on the brass fitting trying to get the trans line ( automatic ) off the radiator . but still is not off . so , what do i do now ? i was thinking of trying vice-grips ( since i am past the point of no return ) , any suggestions ???? also , would the repair shop or auto supply have a new brass fitting for this ?

car is 1972 dart 318 auto

question one is , is this something that can be repaired by a rad repair shop ?
Yes, a good radiator shop can re core it

and Q #2 is i stripped the head ( made it round ) on the brass fitting trying to get the trans line ( automatic ) off the radiator . but still is not off . so , what do i do now ? i was thinking of trying vice-grips ( since i am past the point of no return ) , any suggestions ????
Since the fitting is already buggered you can try vice grips or a small pipe wrench but you run the risk of damaging the trans cooler if your not careful. If you still can't budge it and it's completely rounded off I would cut the line right at the stripped fitting (you might be able to get a socket on whats left of the fitting with the line out of the way) ,pull the radiator, then work on the stripped fitting while the rad is out of the car where it's easier to work on. Then get a new fitting (napa most likely has them) ,re flare the cooler line and done

I have those brass fittings if you need them PM me

Since the fitting is already buggered you can try vice grips or a small pipe wrench but you run the risk of damaging the trans cooler if your not careful. If you still can't budge it and it's completely rounded off I would cut the line right at the stripped fitting (you might be able to get a socket on whats left of the fitting with the line out of the way) ,pull the radiator, then work on the stripped fitting while the rad is out of the car where it's easier to work on. Then get a new fitting (napa most likely has them) ,re flare the cooler line and done

thanks , the vise-grips worked , got it to break free without wrecking anything .

radiator shop was able to repair the holes and re-weld the brackets .

damage turned out to be caused by a broken motor mount . ( causing the fan to hit the rad .

new mount installed , OLD radiator , re-installed.

everything working great !

total cost to me ... 60 bucks and a lot of hours .

-
Back