Need Help Removing Instrument Cluster In '68 Barracuda

-

sprinter6591

Reaction score
I've got the instrument cluster (really, it's the silver panel that runs between the 2 pads on the dash) pulled out about 1/2" at the bottom, all the screws are out and the speedometer cable is disconnected, but I can't seem to get it to come out any farther? Are there any other bolts or screws to remove, in order to get it to release and come the rest of the way out? Or is there an easier way to remove the silver panel to paint and restore it? Thanks for any, and all, help!

Did you lower the steering column ? Full procedure is detailed in factory service manuals. Many of those are free downloads.

seven screws,, 3 at bottom and 4 at top. wiring harness might be hanging up on the clip on the steering column, disconnect from pod (be careful with the pins) radio might have to be out but not sure about the roller radios. The 67 radio goes thru a piece of the steel dash also. wiring harness is kinda stiff. Then there's the cables to the heat controls. good luck, patience.

Your going to have to unbolt the heater switch assy (7 /16) nuts and the square slider slider bezels (allen) from the back and unplug some of the plugs from right to left until it swings out besides dropping the column

You should also get a bezel removal tool from ebay. They are only about $10. Im assuming you want to remove switches from the bezel.

I've always just used a thin regular screwdriver and tap the nut the way I want it to go

I've always just used a thin regular screwdriver and tap the nut the way I want it to go
That works fine. I also place a little masking tape around the bezel in case I slip. Also, unhook the battery. Make absolutely sure all wires are unhooked. I have had my 69 Cuda dash out several times, and I seem to remember the light switch hung up and to get the dash out I pulled it. Also, if you have bucket seats, take the driver's seat out. It only takes a few minutes and it is SOOOO much easier to crawl under the dash with it out.

Ive tried the screwdriver and scratched n broke stuff before. For the $10 and the amount of time I use it its worth it. Now if I could only find mine...

I removed my glove box insert and it made it easier to get to the heater/AC controls that needed to be disconnected.

Treblig

-
Back