Need help selling parts here

-

340doc

Reaction score
I would like to sell some items on here but was wondering about the shipping costs. How do you guys know what the shipping will be on an item before you ship, to let the buyer know? How about large heavy items like leaf springs for example. How about payment? I do have a paypal account. Thanks!!

I would like to sell some items on here but was wondering about the shipping costs. How do you guys know what the shipping will be on an item before you ship, to let the buyer know? How about large heavy items like leaf springs for example. How about payment? I do have a paypal account. Thanks!!

I always get a shipping quote on items .. Through the store on big stuff and online on smaller ... I take payment by paypal .. Simple fast and easy

USPS and UPS as well as other shipping companies have online shipping calculators. That is the easiest way to figure out.

As for Paypal account, no you dont have to have one, sometimes its just the most convenient. You can accept Postal Money orders as well. Those are typically the two safest options.

Big heavy stuff I,d try local pick up only first. Youd have to sell for pennies on the dollar to make them worth paying the shipping.

I usually advertise it as my asking price plus shipping. Then once someone has shown interest I stop by the UPS or FED Ex and get a price to the buyers zip. Then I contact the buyer again and tell him the price. I have used the on line calculator a few times but only for smaller items. Once its boxed I will measure then step on the scale without the box and find I weigh to much then again with the box do the math and I have the weight for the box. I find it can be a pain to get actual pricing but its safe and exact!
Best of luck selling
Rod

I usually sell price plus shipping. I will sometimes get it packed up take to the post office and get a PRINTED quote. Then you have weight and dimensions and can now just go online and enter those for whatever postal or zipcode.
Dont be afraid to sell to us Canucks either it aint as big a deal as some people make it out to be. Frig Ive shipped to Australia with no hassles.

Use the USPS Flat Rate boxes, those are easy to figure. As others have mentioned USPS and UPS have online calculators, you will need the package dimensions, weight, where it is shipping from (zip code) and destination (zip code).

It's really pretty simple once you do it a time or two.

I use fedex for the US because they are cheapest. I always sell my stuff + the shipping cost,take a look through the for sale sections and you will see what everyone else does.

USPS Flat rate boxes can be real useful. Also, you can usually get a better deal with USPS online shipping rates. The calculator will produce a variety of shipping options and prices. Among them will be an online shipping rate. Pay for it online and print your own label. Usually a few bucks cheaper and you don't have to wait in line at the Post office. You can hand the package to your mail man or leave it on the counter at the post office.

For me finding a box for large items can be a challenge, furniture stores & bicycle shops are great sources that I use. Often I've had to cut up & splice boxes together.
Also, Greyhound is the least expensive for shipping but you & buyer need to have a station close by.
Like anything else the first time will be a bit of a learning curve.

Those who do it can throw their amen after my testimony, Packing and shipping is a job in itself. Creating a listing and getting the buyers money is the easy part.
More than once I have stopped at the Dollar Store for more shipping tape and finished packaging in the post office parking lot. Then I've stood outside that door waiting for someone to come along and open it for me. We can buy and pay postage online and have the carrier pick up the packages at our door but, the carrier may not have tape on hand. That's a smart method if you have the printer and all other materials on hand.

-
Back