need help......the turd wont fire up

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
well, it was finally time to crank it and it wont run. didnt think it would right off due to all the stuff that had to be done but here is what I got. I am missing something and it is probably obvious but need help. I am not getting any fire to the plugs. at first I didnt have anything from the switch in the start position. I found the wire powering the switch through the bulkhead was dead. fixed that and then I got the motor to turn over from the switch. I replaced the coil (stock) because I found a split down the bottom side of it where you couldnt see it from the top. Remember this car was in a field for 20 years and had been stripped of most stuff. should have had my head examined for doing this but my son wanted it. May still have it done when I get finished with this. I have power to both sides of the coil when the ignition is in the run position but lose it when it goes to the start pos. I think maybe that is where the problem is. I have checked the schematics and think I have it all wired right. I am leaning towards either the dist. or the control module. I have no idea if either are good or bad. have never heard this engine run. what could cause no spark to the plugs.thanks,Bill

sounds like it could be the ballast and/or the ECU box is not well grounded. make sure your battery to block to body grounds are solid. make sure your ECU is well grounded to wherever it is mounted. make sure your ballast connectors are in their correct position in the ballast. im sure you have fresh clean gas.

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 170
Are you using the distributor that was in it in the field? Ballast is bypassed when in the start position. Have you turned the key on and tried jumping it at the starter relay?

hey 73 what is the round thing at the top of the diagram that has ign 1 and ign 2 and battery on it. I made sure the ECU was well grounded. to the inside of the pass side fender. I know the battery to block is grounded good. I dont think I grounded the block to body at all. I forgot that. I have not done anything with the ballast but I did check and found power on both sides of it. I have a new gas tank and gas in it along with a new carb. Badsport, I did have the key in the run position and did jump across the relay and it will turn over but I dont have any spark at the plugs when I pull the wire and allow it to arc across when I try and crank it. Will not grounding the body to block cause no spark. I think I have it wired the way the diagram shows but dont recognize the round thing at the top. Bill

You definitely need grounds, mine has three, one from the neg battery to the chassis, neg battery to the driver side head and one from the passenger side head on the back side to the firewall.

Ignition switch I believe.

Bill the "round thing" is the ignition switch. If you have no power during "crank" to the ignition, check the brown wire (What year are we workin' on??) in the diagram

You should be able to fire it (don't run it for long or leave it hooked up for minutes on end) by running a clip lead from battery (starter relay stud) directly to coil +

When you do that, the coil gets full 12V

the round deal represents the ignition switch. you really should have a ground from the block to the body. if you have power on the start and run side of the ballast then i would focus on the basic ignition parts. reluctor gap, ECU box, coil. i would get out your meter and test the ballast with your key in the start and then run position. if you have another ECU box , i would toss it in just for giggles, it may be that simple.

you guys are FAST LOL

I'm still curious about the dizzy, was it the one that was in it for 20 years in the field.

OK guys, no that isnt the dizzy from the field.It is a 73 Dart Sport with a 360. It was on the engine when I got it. I just went out and put the ground strap on it and I have headlights, and...................checked the wiring diagram that you gave me and it is the way I had it wired and.............. I hit the ignition switch and ...............the turd fired right up.. I thought my son was going to crap his pants because it is open exhaust. I have a few little details to take care of tomorrow but I didnt want to run it long at all.I guess the ground strap was the main thing. I knew I was missing something. I had it in the box of misc. stuff I took off the car when we disassembled the motor. thanks guys for the information. I have been on this car all day and its time to quit till tomorrow. at least he heard it run. when it fired up, the look on his face was priceless. He thought something blew up. I may need some more help on this as I go along here. I am still new to Mopar. Thanks again,Bill

I need to get some kind of exhaust on it next so I can finish fine tuning it. I need to find a cheap shifter to put in it so I can move it around. pushing it in and out of the garage is getting old. I am getting too old for this.hehe

-
Back