Need help.....this is goofy!

-

CO/6

Reaction score
We dropped a used rebuilt 318 (3,000 miles on engine from a t-boned '78 Ram Charger) into my son's '74 duster, 3 speed M/T. Edelbrock performer intake and 1406 carb, stock exhaust still on it, swapped the pan and oil pick up out from the truck and used the old pan and pump which worked fine. No temp or oil gauges on it yet.

We got it started, timed it, ran it for about 20 minutes, drove it up the block to see if everything shifted right then parked it in garage and went back and re-tightened everything, intake had a vacuum leak, tightened exhaust manifold bolts etc. It sounded great and was running smooth. Went to get a few things from the parts place to finish off wiring harnesses, etc. An hour later we started it up again and all of a sudden we have oil coming out of the dip stick tube. We then realized that we never swapped off dip sticks from the old engine with the shorter pan to this engine, which had the truck pan. We could also hear what sounded like the oil bubbling up the tube. As I write this we're about to eat dinner, then go back and drain the oil and se how much there is in there. Has anyone heard of oil coming out of the dip stick tube?

Duhhhh......No it's not. He has the really pretty MOPAR valve covers on it and no breather, never noticed it. And of course we don't have an extra without the vent tube that goes to the breather, which doesn't have the hose fitting. He's running out after dinner and going to get one....damn I hate missing simple things.

Thanks

waiting for that answer as I write this.....doesn't look like it though, only 5 qts missing out of the case of "Daddy's oil".

-
Back