need help to fig out value of a 1972 duster

-

joshb1983

Reaction score
im looking at a 1972 duster 340...its a very nice car its yellow with the 340 wedge decals...not sure if its a real 340..the guy isnt sure what motors in it or much about it and that kinda has me wondering..i havnt seen it in person yet..just wanna make sure its worth the 4 hour drive to see and maby purchase..need to find out if its a real 340..or what to look for to find out..what do u guys think its worth? say its just a 340 clone at worst whats value on it then? any help id appreciate and be thankful..just dont wanna make a big $$$ mistake..heres the pics any info u could offer would help

Attachments

• duster 340.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 341
  • duster 340 2.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 313
  • duster 340 3.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 301
  • duster 340 5.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 310
  • duster 340 7.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 291
  • duster 3406.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 287
IF it is a 340 car the vin 5th digit will have an H. also it will be cast on the side of the block 2780930 340-x x= cast revision number, also the build date of the block is stamped on the left front side of block just under the cyl head. if it is original on the pan rail it will have a last 8 of vin stamped in it.

concerning is the fact that the owner doesn't know? ugh

if all good there? WIW what someone is willing to pay for it.

IF it is a 340 car the vin 5th digit will have an H. also it will be cast on the side of the block 2780930 340-x x= cast revision number, also the build date of the block is stamped on the left front side of block just under the cyl head. if it is original on the pan rail it will have a last 8 of vin stamped in it.

concerning is the fact that the owner doesn't know? ugh

if all good there? WIW what someone is willing to pay for it.

thanks really appreciate it...every question i asked owner he just said i dont know,lol..ill go tomorrow and check it out really good...i hoped the owner would at least know the engine and some background on car..just dread driving 8 hrs round trip to see it and the car be a clone for 340 price..my dad said to look for H code and block#s but having all the info u just gave me i shouldnt have any prob finding out..thanks again and really appreciate

I would confirm the vin H code first before driving 4 hours. tell him if he cant find it, it's also on the registration lol

my thought on this is.... Call owner. Ask for full vin number on dash board.
If it is a 340 car or dash for that matter it will be VS29H2 and then the number of the car. If it has a fender tag ask owner to read it to you and write it down as he reads the numbers to you left to right bottom to top. post the info back on your thread and someone will get the info for you. I am going to assume you know where to tell the owner to find the above info...

my thought on this is.... Call owner. Ask for full vin number on dash board.
If it is a 340 car or dash for that matter it will be VS29H2 and then the number of the car. If it has a fender tag ask owner to read it to you and write it down as he reads the numbers to you left to right bottom to top. post the info back on your thread and someone will get the info for you. I am going to assume you know where to tell the owner to find the above info...

i will...thanks for all the info..ill get it in the morning and post it back on here..

When I get people that say I don't know when a car is like that one I make sure I ask plenty of questions? Why don't you know is one of them?

When I get people that say I don't know when a car is like that one I make sure I ask plenty of questions? Why don't you know is one of them?

i figured since hes owned it for a few years he had to at least learn what engine it had or maby had to buy a part or change oil ,or somthing needed fixed in that time frame to were he had to find out..but he said he still didnt know..so not sure if he really just doesn't know what he has or knows its not a real 340 car.

be wary of the don't know answers--
make a long list & get your answers before traveling--- unless you can give up a days time for fun.
have him read the casting # off of the block--- real e-z to do--- if you have the cash-- you are a premium-- go with the knowledge that there are a lot of cars out there right now & if something doesn't feel right -- walk away.

this all depends on price-- the car looks decent-- has some issues(most do)
Lawrence

All the before mentioned is stuff you need to ask before looking, better yet would be to have him send pics of the VIN and fender tag. If you do go and look at it look for a washer welded to the front edge of the k-frame, 340 cars all seemed to have this. Keep in mind that if it is a real 340 car that the rare and expensive sharktooth grille is missing. If the VIN # checks out you can always pull the rear seat and look for a build sheet.

Car looks pretty good on the outside, make sure to crawl under and look at the frames and floors, also areas in the cowl and inner fenders where rust is common too. If he don't know squat about the engine he probably doesn't know what body work was done.

I would say as it sits, if it is clean and solid and a real h-code car, maybe $5-6k? Need to know lots more about it like condition of the interior, what front brakes, does it have an 8 3/4 rear, rebuilt parts like trans or suspension. Maybe the seller can take more pics for you, he must atleast know how to use a camera!

Hey 66340 welcome back! I dont think the "welded washer" is 100% for sure, my 69 "S" cuda didnt have that on it. Kind of an oddity that washer thing...
If it is a clone, in my opinion if it started life out as a small block versus a /6 makes a difference in the value. A lot easier converting a 318 car to a 340 car and less chance for mistakes.

This is my opinion for what it's worth........
The car has rust issues under the vinyl roof, apparent bubbling on pass side and swelling at the seam on driver's side.
It also has bubbling in the paint on the lower driver's side quarter behind the rear wheel, as well as bubbling on the bottom of the pass. side front fender between the door and the wheel.
Any rust bubbling means holes underneath when you get the paint off.
The car has the incorrect grille in it, the correct shark's tooth grill will cost you upwards of $1000 to replace unless you get lucky.
The under hood wiring is not good and needs to be gone through. I hate the upper alternator bracket!
Incorrect paint under the hood and in the trunk area makes me wonder what it's really hiding.
The rest of the car looks okay, it has the right year rally wheel center caps and painted mirrors on it.
The engine? Who knows what it is without the numbers off it, as for parts like oil filters and usual wear items, they are the same as a 318.
If it is a real 340 car, it would have an 8 3/4'' rear end in it too.
The 340 wedge decal on the hood is incorrect for the year but looks good.
Check the numbers out, and if it is a 340 car with a 340 in it and it runs and drives good, i will go out on a limb and say it's worth about 5 to 6 grand as it sits.
If nothing else, it LOOKS pretty good.
Also, what are your intentions? Buy it and enjoy it as is and restore it in the future?
It would take a lot of work and money to restore it after you get into it, remember that.
Ask the guy, why is it for sale?
I honestly think he's selling it before it gets worse and he has to put some more money in it.
If you are looking at it as a labor of love, not an investment, this could be a good car if the price was right.
Good luck and let us know what happens!

I wouldnt pay big money for it. Spray paint under the hood and in the trunk shows a rush job. Whats hiding under the paint ?

hes asking 6k for it i offered him 5k and he hung up on me... heres pics of inside

Attachments

• duster 340 4.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 247
  • duster 340 8.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 250
This is my opinion for what it's worth........
The car has rust issues under the vinyl roof, apparent bubbling on pass side and swelling at the seam on driver's side.
It also has bubbling in the paint on the lower driver's side quarter behind the rear wheel, as well as bubbling on the bottom of the pass. side front fender between the door and the wheel.
Any rust bubbling means holes underneath when you get the paint off.
The car has the incorrect grille in it, the correct shark's tooth grill will cost you upwards of $1000 to replace unless you get lucky.
The under hood wiring is not good and needs to be gone through. I hate the upper alternator bracket!
Incorrect paint under the hood and in the trunk area makes me wonder what it's really hiding.
The rest of the car looks okay, it has the right year rally wheel center caps and painted mirrors on it.
The engine? Who knows what it is without the numbers off it, as for parts like oil filters and usual wear items, they are the same as a 318.
If it is a real 340 car, it would have an 8 3/4'' rear end in it too.
The 340 wedge decal on the hood is incorrect for the year but looks good.
Check the numbers out, and if it is a 340 car with a 340 in it and it runs and drives good, i will go out on a limb and say it's worth about 5 to 6 grand as it sits.
If nothing else, it LOOKS pretty good.
Also, what are your intentions? Buy it and enjoy it as is and restore it in the future?
It would take a lot of work and money to restore it after you get into it, remember that.
Ask the guy, why is it for sale?
I honestly think he's selling it before it gets worse and he has to put some more money in it.
If you are looking at it as a labor of love, not an investment, this could be a good car if the price was right.
Good luck and let us know what happens!

thanks for looking at pics...im looking for a solid car...maby needs minor work but not a big project...figured it would be a good investment that i can enjoy for years...ive grew up around mopars my dad and uncle builds em..its took years but i can finally afford one now and fig a duster or satellite would be a good start..here in ky and southern ohio its getting hard to find anything decent..every one iv seen had torsion bars and mounts rotten..

Any body that has a Duster from 70 to76 , should know if it was an original 340 or 360 car , if they do not there is something wrong with it , i would say he is playing stupid.

In my opinion $5-$6k is a fair price, for that amount of money you wont buy a show car, and this car might be great as a daily driver as ugly as under the hood may be. Find out the 5th digit in the vin and pics of underneath to see if its solid or not.

It is really hard to deal long distance with the pictures shown. The car appears to be nice(well at least ok) 6k is not out of line, however a lot of problems arise when the seller doesn't want to assist a long distance buyer with detailed pictures-- undercarriage, floor pans, etc--- all the things you will look at when inspecting closely..
He might think he is giving the car away now-- or he could be a salesman hoping to hook you.

If you really like the car-- get the details from him with pictures or travel there to inspect. Lawrence

If he just hung up on you then walk away. There's no sense in driving that far to meet up with a seller that has an attitude like that. Let him play games with someone else.

$6000 is ok if its a real 340 car. I dont think its a real 340 car. $4000 would be more like it but I would check the usual spots for rust/rust repair. A good paint job is going to cost you $$$$

I think the seller just did you a favor.

It should be easir to walk now that you know you'd be dealing with an *** and an idiot.

Anyone possessing BOTH of those qualities surely would have no trouble lying about a car.

you would think if hes wanting to sell and i have the cash he would be a lil more friendly...if its a real 340 id pay what he wants...but he said 6k no matter 340 or not and wont budge..i offered 5,500 and he blew me off..so im still searching for somthing either A or B body type mopar..

-
Back