need help with brake drum I.D

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I went in and had to replace one of the brake drums on my Duster. 8.75 rear. 10" drum. I bought what I thought it should be and got the wrong one. I have no idea what this rearend came off of as I had Moser narrow the rear end 14 years ago but I have replaced them since. The numbers on the drum I need on the pass. side are : 21227-C and there is a W2 and it says 10.090 Max. Dia. on the outside of the drum. 0 " drum. Height at the center hole is 3.75" and it is just shy of 3" inside where the shoe is. Picture below. The one I bought at O'reilly's today has a part # of 2947DGS. I tried to find out what the 21227-C crossed to and found nothing. The problem with the drum I bought is that the holes are too big where the stud is and the center hole. see pic also. The wrong drum has the numbers of 8878 and a W7 and it says 256.29 MM on the outside. I looked up several 8.75 rear end cars back in the day and most of them showed the one I bought but it is wrong. Can anyone help me here and tell me what vehicle the drum I need fits. I am going to have to write these part #'s down so I will know next time. Problem with mixing components. Here are pics of the one I need.Thanks,Bill

Attachments

• DSC07068 (Copy).jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC07069 (Copy).jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC07070 (Copy).jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 250
here are pics of the wrong dum. notice the fit.

Attachments

• DSC07074 (Copy).jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 358
  • DSC07075 (Copy).jpg
    36 KB · Views: 184
"Back in the day" I might have been able. We used to have huge books for Raybestos, Airtex, and Wagner that had casting and part numbers.

But.........there's always a possibility that O'Reallys is AFU, too, mis boxed, miss application, etc

The stud holes too big are not a problem. The center hole certainly is

I know. The box was sealed and the plastic was sealed so I don't know. I bought this set of drums new so I had to have gotten it right then but it isn't working now. I just thought that the number 21227-C would cross to something.

what did you order for the brake drum?

try a 73 duster with the 8.25 rear?
or a late 60's b body car.

It could be the part was mis-boxed.

Good luck Lawrence

I know it wouldn't be for an 8.25. I know I ordered it for an 8.75. I usually order items for a 66-68 Coronet for Tylers 8.75 rearend when I put his together. When he gets home from work with his car I am going to check his drums. Maybe there is a screw up somewhere with the boxes. I just thought someone on here with an 8.75 would know by the look of the drum I pictured.

Okla-- to the rescue !!

an 8.25 should have the same drums as your modified b body 8.75 was what I'm getting at. That drum should fit numerous cars with the 10" diameter rear brakes & 2.5" width. Lawrence

no, you didn't lose me. that drum will not fit. 73 Duster calls for the same drum as the one I bought. part # 2947DGS. That drum I pulled Tylers Dart Sport drum and it fit his car. It has a 2.80 pilot hole same as the 9498 DGS. My pilot hole on my Duster is 2.5 ". The drum that I need, marked 21227-C has a 2.5 " pilot hole. How that 21227-C # crosses to a 9498 I don't know. I put the drum I bought today,2947DGS on Tylers axle and it fits perfect which is what that car calls for. I don't know what Moser did when they set up this rear end years ago but I know I have bought new drums for it. And I know I didn't buy it for a Ford. So what Mopar vehicles have a 2.5 " center hole with a 10" drum.

no, you didn't lose me. that drum will not fit. 73 Duster calls for the same drum as the one I bought. part # 2947DGS. That drum I pulled Tylers Dart Sport drum and it fit his car. It has a 2.80 pilot hole same as the 9498 DGS. My pilot hole on my Duster is 2.5 ". The drum that I need, marked 21227-C has a 2.5 " pilot hole. How that 21227-C # crosses to a 9498 I don't know. I put the drum I bought today,2947DGS on Tylers axle and it fits perfect which is what that car calls for. I don't know what Moser did when they set up this rear end years ago but I know I have bought new drums for it. And I know I didn't buy it for a Ford. So what Mopar vehicles have a 2.5 " center hole with a 10" drum.

Bummer...

somebody on here has to know what Mopar came with a 2.5 center hole, 10" drum, 4.5 x5 bolt pattern. I have not found anything in the building of these 2 cars that you guys didn't know about.

back in 2001 I think. Had to have been before my stroke. I took the whole rearend up to Moser and told them to narrow it down to fit an a body. So it had to have been something other than an a body or I wouldn't have had to narrow it. question is which one. I am going to try e body specs.

Do you have old small bot pattern axles that have been redrilled to large bolt pattern? It is the only thing that I can think of that would explain the small pilot diameter and the 5 on 41/2 bolt circle.....if this is the case your old drum should have two sets of stud holes?

2wd pickup?

But even if it was narrowed, Moser didn't cut the axles, did they? Aren't you using Moser built axles?

I don't know.

I know it wouldn't be for an 8.25. I know I ordered it for an 8.75. I usually order items for a 66-68 Coronet for Tylers 8.75 rearend when I put his together. When he gets home from work with his car I am going to check his drums. Maybe there is a screw up somewhere with the boxes. I just thought someone on here with an 8.75 would know by the look of the drum I pictured.

I'm confused about this 2.5 canter hole that you are mentioning. But....

You say that you ordered them for an 8 3/4" axle for an a-body.

Then you say that you usually order items for a 66-68 coronet. That could be the problem.

The B & E body rear drums are 10 x 2.5" width with a 4.5" bolt pattern.

A-body rear drums are 10 x 1 7/8" width and a 4.0 bolt pattern.

If you ordered them for an 8 1/4" a-body with 10" drums, I do not know what they would be, as I have only worked on the early a-bodies. I have worked on B & E bodies with 10" rear drums. What width drums came on 8 1/4" axles on a-bodies from 73-76? 73-76 a-bodies were not available with 8 3/4" axles, so there should not be a listing for them.

What width are the drums that you have??? 1 7/8" or 2 1/2"???

What bolt pattern are they? 4' or 4 1/2"?

When I set up my stock 4" bolt pattern a-body 8 3/4" axles, I always tell the parts guy that I have a 72 duster.... I like the 72 style brake system better than the 67-68 system.

Kuda, I am buying parts for Tylers rearend because that 8.75 came out of a Coronet. I know that because I personally swapped it into his car from the Coronet. What mine came out of I have no idea. I bought it 14 years ago and took it to Moser and dropped it off and told them to cut it down to fit under an a body. I have no idea what it came out of. I don't know if Moser cut the axles, replaced the axles or maybe made the axles and drilled a set of drums for it. I thought that over the past 14 years I had replaced the drums and shoes on it. If so, I know I didn't get them from Moser. The 2603 drum Bill is talking about specs out close to what I have. I didn't put a dial on it but with a quick ruler, the center hole is approx. 2.5 " where it goes over the axle. The width on it laying down with the ruler on the floor to the top of the center hole of the drum is almost 3". Inside of the drum side to side is 10". I know Ford and Mopar has the same bolt pattern but I hope they are not Ford drums. I am going to order one of those 2603DGS drums and see if it works. worst case , I will find me a set of a body axles and stick in it. I know it is an 8.75 rearend with a 489 case.3:23 gears............................I think. at this point, I don't know anything.

-
Back