need help with brake drum I.D

-
my 73 Dart Sport has the 2.80 center. So the big question here is : did Mopar even make a bbp axle 5 on 4.5 with a 2.5 pilot hole or did Moser set me up with a one of a kind setup. I have a hard time believeing they would do that and why does my drums have the 21227-C stamped in them. If Moser drilled the drums to fit the axles, they would not be stamped.

I just ordered a 2603 DGS drum and it will be here about noon tomorrow. we will see what happens. Thanks guys for the info.

Ok, I talked to a buddy of mine about the 212227-C number to see if he could cross it. He said it is just a raw casting number and several different drums could have been made off of that casting. I have no idea if he is correct or full of crap but if he is right, it would account for the difference.

my 73 Dart Sport has the 2.80 center. So the big question here is : did Mopar even make a bbp axle 5 on 4.5 with a 2.5 pilot hole or did Moser set me up with a one of a kind setup. I have a hard time believeing they would do that and why does my drums have the 21227-C stamped in them. If Moser drilled the drums to fit the axles, they would not be stamped.

Think about it this way. Did Moser have a raw axle that a Ford or Mopar could be machined out of? If so this could account for the small hub.

Bill

You are not going mad. I have an 8 3/4 here I just pulled from my duster with 2.5 pilot hole drums. This however has SBP and was out of a B Body cause I can tell by the length of the housing. What I cant tell you though is which year B body it came from. I cant see any numbers on the drums cause they are pretty dirty and rusty. If yours are LBP with that small pilot hole I am stumped. Cant answer whats going on there. Good luck!!

Bill

You are not going mad. I have an 8 3/4 here I just pulled from my duster with 2.5 pilot hole drums. This however has SBP and was out of a B Body cause I can tell by the length of the housing. What I cant tell you though is which year B body it came from. I cant see any numbers on the drums cause they are pretty dirty and rusty. If yours are LBP with that small pilot hole I am stumped. Cant answer whats going on there. Good luck!!

There was never a SBP used in a B Body.

Trudysduster - what is the measurement of the pilot on the end of your axles, do your axle flanges have more than one set of holes for studs, and what is the diameter of the pilot on your brake drums?

d55dave, I measured the hole in the drum. it is 2.5" with a ruler. didn't put the dial on it so it could be a 2.54 and it fit over the axle perfect. I will check it tomorrow. The axle has thread in studs. I will check these measurements in the morning when I get out there. Bill

so tell me this guys, if I went and got a set of bbp a body axles that fits my car, I could just put the correct brake drums on here with the 2.8 center like the ones on my 73 Dart Sport and be done with it right. all I would have to do is have the new axle bearings pressed on the correct axles and get away from this hassle if I cannot find the right brake drum. as long as the length of the axle is close to mine and the # of splines are the same.

d55dave, I measured the hole in the drum. it is 2.5" with a ruler. didn't put the dial on it so it could be a 2.54 and it fit over the axle perfect. I will check it tomorrow. The axle has thread in studs. I will check these measurements in the morning when I get out there. Bill

I would like to see a picture of your axles without the brake drums.

so tell me this guys, if I went and got a set of bbp a body axles that fits my car, I could just put the correct brake drums on here with the 2.8 center like the ones on my 73 Dart Sport and be done with it right. all I would have to do is have the new axle bearings pressed on the correct axles and get away from this hassle if I cannot find the right brake drum. as long as the length of the axle is close to mine and the # of splines are the same.

If you got the correct axles, it would do away with this issue. Since there was no A Body 8 3/4 that came with bbp from Ma Mopar you would have to probably have new axles made. Since your rear end was cut down to what was supposed to be the factory A Body width, it would be very important to get accurate measurements when ordering axles. I highly recommend Cass at Doctor Diff for axles, www.doctordiff.com . He will work with you over the phone to make sure you get the right parts you need.

another thing I could do if I had to would be send this old drum back to Moser and have them make a new drum to match it. It says they can make any drum on their website. would be cheaper . I will get a pic of the axle this morning without the drums.

OK, here are some pics. axle without drum on, center of correct drum (21227-C ) and pics of correct drum on axle. I may not have the tape measure centered on the drum in the pic because I did not have any coffee in me yet but it is close. Does this tell you anything.

Attachments

• DSC07076 (Copy).jpg
    46 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC07078 (Copy).jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC07079 (Copy).jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC07080 (Copy).jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 103
OK, here are some pics. axle without drum on, center of correct drum (21227-C ) and pics of correct drum on axle. I may not have the tape measure centered on the drum in the pic because I did not have any coffee in me yet but it is close. Does this tell you anything.

It answers the question someone asked about the possibility of it being re-drilled, clearly it hasn't.

I will know early afternoon if the For* drum will work. Cant stand the thought of a For* drum on my Mopar.

I will know early afternoon if the For* drum will work. Cant stand the thought of a For* drum on my Mopar.

I have ran every application that I could think of trying to find that 2.5" as a Mopar drum and I came up blank. I really suspect that you have had a For* style drum every since the rear end came back from Moser. If it is a correct drum, just think about it this way... It isn't really a For* drum because it is really an aftermarket Mopar drum with a smaller hub opening.

I can learn to think like that. Makes me feel better. LOL. keep thinking about any other aftermarket application in case this one doesn't work. I just sent Tyler down to the parts house with the drum and axle to see if it works. will let you know something soon. Thanks,Bill

I can learn to think like that. Makes me feel better. LOL. keep thinking about any other aftermarket application in case this one doesn't work. I just sent Tyler down to the parts house with the drum and axle to see if it works. will let you know something soon. Thanks,Bill

If possible have him snap a picture if it is wrong. That might help me figure out where to go.

woo hoo, we don't have to go anywhere. It fits perfect. I would never have believed that a For*, excuse me, an aftermarket drum was on my Duster. Thanks Bill for your memory. You bet I am going to start a sheet with this part # being on the top of the list for future references. here are some pics. I even managed to get the new compressor in place and wired up this morning. Now to start running the black pipe. So far its been a good day. Thanks Bill.

Attachments

• DSC07082 (Copy).jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC07083 (Copy).jpg
    28 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC07084 (Copy).jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC07085 (Copy).jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC07081 (Copy).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 91
woo hoo, we don't have to go anywhere. It fits perfect. I would never have believed that a For*, excuse me, an aftermarket drum was on my Duster. Thanks Bill for your memory. You bet I am going to start a sheet with this part # being on the top of the list for future references. here are some pics. I even managed to get the new compressor in place and wired up this morning. Now to start running the black pipe. So far its been a good day. Thanks Bill.

That aftermarket drum does look like a good fit. I am glad I did remember and you are very welcome.

Glad to see you got the compressor unloaded and are able to get started on the black pipe.

we just got done painting the walls of the garage today and going to paint the floor tomorrow night. Going to figure out the layout tomorrow and install the black pipe. Then it is time to get started on some cars. Thanks again for the memory. The Duster is back together and the number of the brake drum is on the top of my list of parts for this car. I will not forget that number and don't you either in case I do. LOL.

we just got done painting the walls of the garage today and going to paint the floor tomorrow night. Going to figure out the layout tomorrow and install the black pipe. Then it is time to get started on some cars. Thanks again for the memory. The Duster is back together and the number of the brake drum is on the top of my list of parts for this car. I will not forget that number and don't you either in case I do. LOL.

Luckily it is posted in this thread if both of us forget.

yeah im looking into putting disk brakes on the back of mine and was told that if i use some ford parts it would be easy to buy parts later...just have to buy pads for a 92 ford....cant stand that idea lol

-
Back