need help with charging system!!!!

-

65ricekiller

Reaction score
this is on a 65 dodge dart 225 slant six......i replaced the alt,volt reg,and battery. now i am only getting 11.5 volts from alt and battery. 11.5 on the input side of voltreg and 6.5 on the output(it was replaced 4 days ago) what could be my problem or what could i do to isolate the issue. alt checked out fine at shop. fyi. befor i replaced all this i was getting 18-20 volts on all three items. thanks for any help.

18-20 volts is too high. 11.5 volts is too low.

Why did you replace the alternator, voltage regulator, and battery in the first place? What stopped working, when, and how? Just tossing parts at a broken car is an unsatisfactory, expensive way to fix them. What brand and model of voltage regulator did you put in? Whose alternator? There's a lot of junk on the market these days; it's relatively hard to buy good quality parts.

Info on testing and repairing charging systems is here, here, and here. As soon as you can, get hold of the three books described in this thread.

i put a napa brand direct repalcement voltreg, its a carquest rebuilt single field alt. and the reason i replaced those items is becaues i was get 18-20 volts though the system and it fried my alt and voltreg and my headlights.
now i dont know what to check next.

-
Back