need help with coil wiring

-

2 fast z28

Reaction score
where can i get a 12 volt source for my msd coil i coverted to hei four pin module and i cant find a hot with key on and hot when cranking any help would be great

WHATAREWEWORKINON????

1947 Whippet?

Supermarine Spitfire?

American La France fire truck?

There is no "one wire," and you use the ORIGINAL "two" wires.

Traditionally, the dark blue "ignition run" comes out of the bulkhead and is hot ONLY in run, NOT start

It powers the ballast resistor, the regulator IGN terminal, and on 70/ later cars, feeds power to the blue alternator field wire and a couple of other things.

YOU NEED that wire.

BUT it is NOT hot in "start."

--------------------------------

The traditional brown comes out of the bulkhead, and feeds the coil side of the ballast. It is hot ONLY in start. If you are removing the ballast, you need to hook the blue and brown together, and run that junction to your coil + and to the "hot" terminal on your HEI, as well as leave it hooked to whatever else it supplied, IE regulator, alternator blue, etc etc.

Correct. Get the +12 V "ignition power" from the "coil+" wire where the factory coil was. Remove the ballast and jumper the 2 terminals together, as 67Dart273 says. I used a special male-male spade connector, but you can make a short jumper wire. If you car had factory electronic ignition with the dual ballast, it gets a little tricker, but not too tough.

-
Back