Need Help with Front & Rear Windshield Installation - Duster

-

dodger340

Reaction score
Hi,

Trying to install front and rear windshields in my 73 Duster. I have the new rubber and the original glass. Can some one please explain in detail the installation procedure? Do I put the rubber on the car first and then put the glass in - if so how? Do I put the rubber on the glass and then put it in the car - if so how? I've heard of using a rope. If so, what kind - size and type recommended? and again how? :) Thanks a lot.

The way I've always done it is to put the gasket on the windshield and then install it in the opening. I run a small diameter nylon rope in the inner lip of the gasket with the ends overlapped at the bottom. Lube everything up real good with some liquid soap and set the lower edge as far into the opening as you can but don't try to force anything. Make sure the rope ends are inside the car. Start pulling the rope so that it peels the rubber over the lip in the windshield opening working from the middle out to the ends and then up the windshield pillars and around to the top middle. Do just a little at a time and try to keep it even from side to side. A slight tap with the palm of your hand will help seat the glass down and in. (take your rings and bracelets off when you do that!). Take your time! You don't want to put the glass in a bind as it will crack REAL easy! If you've never done one, you'll probably break your first one. If you insist on doing it yourself, I'd practice on one in a do-it-yourself yard first or at least watch someone at a glass shop install one. Try pulling an old pickup flat back glass out and reinstalling it. Those are fairly easy to do. Once you've got those under your belt, try a wrap around one. If you get them done without incident, you may be ready to tackle a windshield.

The main concern is results. If you hire a professional who warrenties their work and you have a water leak, they get to do it again for free. If you do it yourself you want to be 200% sure it's not going to leak.
If I'm putting a flat glass in the back of a pickup cab I'll use the rope trick. That glass is much less likely to leak anyway.
For these curved glasses front or rear, I apply sealant to the body fence, install the gasket on the fence, apply a bead of sealant in the gaskets glass bed, and install the glass from bottom up.
I dont mind cleaning a lot of excess sealant from the glass and body. Cleaning the all the sealant away to start over in much more difficult.
Did both front and rear of my 67 notch back last summer ( Aug. 2010 ) with reused gaskets.
That rear glass is curved on 2 axis and quite large. 3M Windo-Weld sealant was about 25 bucks per tube and 1 was not enough to do both front and rear glasses
I did replace the vent box to cowl seals and I also replaced the wiper pivot seals.
No leaks today. Good luck with yours

cudamark has it dead on the money. The only thing I'll add is, make sure the window channels are SPOTLESSLY CLEAN. Also, after you get it done, rince the liquid soap out until there are NO suds at all and let it dry REAL good. Then, you'll wanna apply some kinda silicone based sealant all the way around the outside of the gasket, under the outside lip, between the lip and the windshield channel. Lastly, to me, car glass has always been like tires. The bigger the glass, the easier the install. The smaller, the harder the install.

Sorry it took so long for me to get back on here and thank you all for the help. My wife and I installed the rear window last weekend. No body tore anybody's head off and we didn't break it so I guess it was a success. We are planning to tackle the front one this weekend. I am waiting on the delivery of some trim clips. Is there something special that I have to do to give you a "thanks" for your stats? This is the first (and I know not the last) time I have posted here. I got my locking strips today. Thanks for letting me know about Just Mopar. They beat Year One's price by $4. Hey it all counts. Thanks again everybody.

PS - Is it possible to put the trim clips on after the window is installed? If not, I sure hope they come this week. I'm anxious to the the front one in...so I can move on to the next part.

Hi,

Trying to install front and rear windshields in my 73 Duster. I have the new rubber and the original glass. Can some one please explain in detail the installation procedure? Do I put the rubber on the car first and then put the glass in - if so how? Do I put the rubber on the glass and then put it in the car - if so how? I've heard of using a rope. If so, what kind - size and type recommended? and again how? :) Thanks a lot.

WELCOME to FABO!:cheers:

I have installed a few and broke many...
Call your local glass shop.
Most will charge around $100.00 for remove and replace at your location at your convience, 1 time for remove and 1 time whenever you're ready for install.
In your case they will probibly charge up to $200.00 for install and if it gets broke or leaks it on them to make good.
Good Luck!
John.:D

OOPS! Late to the party I see! LOL

Successful. We got both windows in. It took a couple of hours on each one. We started the first one with too thick of a rope. Went with a thinner nylon one that worked better. Took a while working the rubber in place using small rubber scrapers and spray silicone. The silicone made a big difference. The silicone helped a lot with the locking strip too. Then I sealed it under the rubber with flowable silicone clear windshield sealer. Lots of prayers and a little muscle and they are in! Thanks for all of your suggestions everybody - will try to post photos soon.

How do I put a profile pic on here?

congrats!
i just put my windshield in this week also, though it was a little less stressful for me since i used to work at a glass shop that also did auto glass.
for your profile, avatar, or signature pic go to user cp located on the top of the page. there you'll find all the tools you need to insert a profile pic and others.

Then, you'll wanna apply some kinda silicone based sealant all the way around the outside of the gasket, under the outside lip, between the lip and the windshield channel. .

NEVER EVER use silicone based sealant on your windows.(home depot kind)
unless you want to be sure your window channels will rust from the acid in silicone sealer!
use a sealer if need be (small leak) specificaly made for car window installation

-
Back