need help with leaky trans pan

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
Ok so I have a 904 in my /6 duster,

I have a transmission pan leak so I got a new felpro gasket and put on it leaked still. So I put another felpro gasket on still leaking. So I replaced the gasket again. So I thought it might be the pan so I bought a new MP Pan and it came with a gasket still leaked. So far I have been buying the 5-6 dollar gaskets. So this last time I when to the dodge place and got a gasket for 20 dollars. You could tell this was a much much better gasket, everything I read on this gasket said they put this gasket on and never had a leak problem. Bulls*** I put this gasket on and still leaks in to spots. Everytime I replace the gasket it leaks from a different spot. It is leaking from the head of the pan bolts and some around the edges. This is the last time I am doing this if it does not work F*** it let the tranny blow up.

Just venting
Anyone have any tips Everytime I touqed them to 96in pounds like the book said.

Are you over torquing the gasket and splitting it? Maybe it is leaking from somewhere else and running off the pan?? If it were me I would put just a Kiss of RTV Gray on both sides of the gasket making sure to get around the bolt holes. If that don't fix it, I don't know what will.

On pan gaskets for what it is worth, I never use a torque wrench, I go by feel. The only gasket I use a torque wrench on is Head Gaskets.

you sure its leaking from the pan maybe its coming from where the shifter linkage hooks too or from the dipstick tube . might want to check those areas

Try putting a little bit of RTV on the Bolt Threads along with both sides of the gasket. And don't use the torque wrench.

Im thinking they need to be torqued to 13-15 foot pounds (156 inch pounds) in three tighten increments. This is for a Dodge Ram transmission so yours could be close if you got the gasket with the metal in the center. Its also reusable. My truck has this type gasket.

Im thinking they need to be torqued to 13-15 foot pounds (156 inch pounds) in three tighten increments. This is for a Dodge Ram transmission so yours could be close if you got the gasket with the metal in the center. Its also reusable. My truck has this type gasket.

Yeah its the 2000 or 2002 model year gasket

If you have done all that I would assume your problem is somewhere else and has nothing to do with the pan at all.

How's the machined surface where the pan and its gasket rests ?
Maybe it's chipped or cracked ?

Also , you are checking the fluid level with the car idling , in neutral , at operating temperature , on a level surface , right ?
Maybe the pan's overfilled ...

The tranny bottom were the pan bolt to is flat and smooth. The fluid level is right I checked it right. The pan is new and is smooth and flat to. You can see were the fluid is leaking from around the lip of the pan and either the bolt of it is leaking from the lip of the pan to the bolt I have looked for hours and there is no were else it is leaking.

I have a Mopar deep steel pan that I bought new. Leaked from day one. I put a straight edge accross it and it was bent. I bent it back flat with the straight edge and it hasn't leaked again.

I went through this same ordeal. I was positive it was the pan gasket. Replaced the gasket three times before I finally realized it was coming from up above. You get a very thin film from the source until it collects on the pan so it makes it look like it's coming from the pan.

Mine was leaking from the dipstick tube and the shifter cable (1965). I had already replaced the shifter cable o-ring, but I used a metric o-ring which is a bit too skinny. I also ended up changing the speedo cable seal and the output shaft seal. Finally, no leaks!

96 in-lbs is plenty. When you use the thicker gasket from the dealer with the original short bolts it's very easy to strip out the aluminum threads.

What he said, and snug and a 1/4 turn will do just fine
you sure its leaking from the pan maybe its coming from where the shifter linkage hooks too or from the dipstick tube . might want to check those areas

... I finally realized it was coming from up above. You get a very thin film from the source until it collects on the pan so it makes it look like it's coming from the pan.
I nominate the shifter seal. :banghead:

wash the whole area above it with brake cleaner which will evaporate real quick and show where leak developes,Joe

dang try and help the kid and he gets pissy, step 1 jack and secure your POS so it doesnt fall on ya step 2 with acouple cans of break clean and a little wire brush clean the areas around your dipstick tube the part that goes into the trans not up by the handle,then around the areas that your tranny lines connect too and last the shaft that comes out of your caseing that your shifter linkage hooks too make sure too clean these areas good with that little brush and the brake clean [oh yeah get the good break clean its called CRC its in a red can ] after cleaning it dry it real good with some shop towels get the paper style blue ones there cheap and work good after everything is clean lower it back down drive it around the block up and down the drive way who cares after that park it back in your work spot jack it back up wait for it to cool dont want you comin back bitchin saying you burnt your hands after it cools use your finger with one of those rags and wipe under the area that you cleaned if its dry no sign of tranny fluid its not leakin there move on to another area that you cleaned besure to use a different clean rag or the other side of the one you originaly had if you find a wet spot on the rag thats redish in color theres your "F"ing leak if its a line tighten it be sure to use a flare wrench that way you dont strip the F#$% out of it and come back bitchin to us if its leaking out of the dipstick or other noted areas described to you in detail take that area apart if you cant figure that part out come back and ask i'll tell you in detail how to remove it and that way you can replace that o-ring

ppl come here askin for help and we try are best to help no sense in gettin snappy cause you get snappy in return
mods sorry for the vent

-
Back