Need Help With Rear End

-

Cullen

Reaction score
I bought a 73 Gold Duster with the 225 slant six and it has the 5/4 bolt pattern for the wheels. I was wanting to add disc brakes and get a 5/4.5 bolt pattern and drop a 318 in the car. Do I need to buy a new rear end to get a bigger bolt pattern or is there another way to do it? Also should I get a new transmission if I put a 318 in it and if so what size?

Add the 73-76 A Body disc brakes (including UCA) and use wheel adapters until you can source a LBP 8.25 (preferred if going with a V8) or weaker 7.25 LBP. You will need a small block 904 or 727 when going with a 273, 318, 340, or 360.

I'd pick up a new rear end. 8.25s can be picked up for between $100 and $200 all day long. You'll need the shock plates and U-bolts to make that fit. You will need a new transmission too.

I have done this and I would use the same parts to upgrade again.

/6 - 318 parts;
8-1/4 rear
(Mine had a 3.21 suregrip)
Dr. Diff HD axles with a 5X4-1/4
New shock plates & U bolts
ESPO springs 1 inch over for a mild rake. S/S brake lines.
A V8 - 904 shift kit added
Cut down & balanced the /6 driveshaft to fit in. (Pro shop done, not at home) The 8-1/4 is slightly longer.

If not clear above, your slant transmission will not bolt to a small block. There are many other issues installing a small-block V-8 into a slant car, so search. It is slightly easier in 1964-66 cars, but far from trivial.

There are front disk kits that keep 5 x 4" wheels. Scarebird is affordable (Chevy/Toyota parts). But, read-up because most are meant for 63-72 cars w/ 9" or 10" drum brakes (which do you have?). The 1973 drum spindles may differ, so the adapter plate may not fit (recall some posts). Don't even consider the 64-72 factory Kelsey-Hayes disk setup, since rare, expensive, and likely problems installing on a 1973+ car. Of course, the best approach would be getting the whole front suspension and rear-end from a 1973+ small-block car. But, those are getting rare in junkyards. Now you know why slant cars are so much cheaper.

-
Back