need help with relesing tension on torsion bars

-

dpmalibu

Reaction score
Does any body have a step by step process of how to remove a K-member? I really need pics and description of how to release the tension on the torsion bars. I have never worked on a Mopar before so this is all new to me. It seems removing the k-member is easy but releasing the tension is the key to making this process easy.

The car I am working on is a 1974 Dodge Dart Sport.

You sound like another guy who really needs a shop manual.

Here's a 72 fer free

If the first link is broke, scroll down through the thread, some of them were fixed later

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual,+download

Basically, jack up the car to remove the weight, and unscrew the tension bolt.

Go back to the rear and pull the retainer clips out of the torsion bars, immediately behind them

DO NOT use sharp objects such as vise grips or other knurled jaw clamps to remove the bars. Either buy a puller or make one. All you need is some angle iron and some strap that you can clamp around the bar with SMOOTH surfaces so you don't scratch the bar. Drive it out the rear

Support the engine from above

Unhook whatever you want from the suspension, IE top ball joints, and unbolt the thing.

4 bolts is all that holds it in

thanks. i talked to my firnd and he has the books I need to get this done. Fingers crossed this will come apart with ease. Car has been sitting along time so hopefully its not super crusty!!

67Dart273 has you covered.
I'll just add that if the tension bolts have never been removed or adjusted i found it easier to use a impact gun to loosen them or have a good cheater bar for your ratchet/breaker bar as they can be really snug to begin with.

Soak the adjusters. with wd40. kroil. or pb blaster before hand.

Ditto to soak the bolts good, for several days. Replacement bolts are not cheap. 273 forgot to mention that you must unbolt the drag struts (large nut at front or small 12-pt nut at lower control arm), so soak those good too. You also must remove the upper control arm or separate the ball joint. Where you live, the thru bolts on the cam adjusters are usually rusted solid and it is a b*** to cut them out with a hacksaw way back in the wheel wheel, so go for the ball joint first.

You don't need a torsion bar remover if you're removing the k-member. That's basically only if you're swapping torsion bars without having to take any of the suspension apart.

Like the guys above said, undo the ride height tension bolts and then remove the little clips at the back end of the torsion bars.

Since you're removing the k-member, either take the upper control arm off or break the upper ball joint loose. Take the strut rod nut off the lower control arm and then remove the nut holding the lower control arm bolt to the k-member. Now your lower control arm is your torsion bar remover. Simply hammer it toward the back of the car and the torsion bar will start popping out of the lower control arm.

You're welcome. The main thing is that you are willing to get in there and get your hands dirty.

that's never a problem for me I just like to know what I am doing especially when working on something that could hurt you

-
Back