Need Help with signals

-

DUST UM ALL

Reaction score
1970 duster Rallye dash ,I'm having issues with my signals not working have changed both flashers everything else is working fine just no turn signals have steering wheel off and see rhth emergency flasher button is part of the signal switch looking for a place to start diagnosis thanks for any help

1970 duster Rallye dash ,I'm having issues with my signals not working have changed both flashers everything else is working fine just no turn signals have steering wheel off and see rhth emergency flasher button is part of the signal switch looking for a place to start diagnosis thanks for any help
Were they working at any point? Did you do some kind of rewiring of any sort?

Yes I've installed a 6.4 hemi doing so removed the bulk head connector rewired headlight wiring to be hidden under left fender also wiper motor wired directly to wiper switch also use 1 of the ignition wires from the column to power start circuit in stand alone harness for engine through a push button start car is running and everything is working except turn signals and I'm having trouble figuring out what happened

Yes I've installed a 6.4 hemi doing so removed the bulk head connector rewired headlight wiring to be hidden under left fender also wiper motor wired directly to wiper switch also use 1 of the ignition wires from the column to power start circuit in stand alone harness for engine through a push button start car is running and everything is working except turn signals and I'm having trouble figuring out what happened
I did kind of the same thing last winter where I tucked my wires under the drivers fender and put the 6al inside the glove box and some other bulkhead stuff all underneath the dash and took it all the way. It seemed like forever I never had any turn signals and I swore when I first got the car I change the flashers and all and worked on it but it seems like I really never did. In the end I change both the flashers and everything worked fine :BangHead:
5 years with no flashers! Sticking my left arm out the window LOL and all I had to do is change the damn$3 flasher deal. anyways the place to start would probably be making sure the bulbs work themselves? And definitely a good ground to the signals. Possibly some painting going on under there and the little ground wire for the signals aren't making a good connection? There is no rocket science in there so it's just completing the circuit likely....

Everything is brand new all the bulbs and the flashersf themselves I've switched the two as the emergency flashers work just to make sure I haven't gotten a bad brand new flashers and there both working being I have brake lights I'm thinking that the bulbs and grounds are good is there anyway to check at the switch itself I'm not much of an electrician but have seemed to get everything working up to this point just didn't want to start pulling my hair cut if there is an easy way to check the actual switch before going through all the wiring ...also forgot to mention I've changed the original fuse block to a more modern blade type so was also thinking maybe I missed a feed for the signals that might have gone through the fuse block that's why I was asking what else might be on that circuit the writing on the old block was pretty much worn off , I've been working off a 1970 service manual which only gives a diagram for a valiant and it's not a ralley dash but it seems everything is pretty much the same

Yes that's why my first questions were alluding to customization. Pretty much when you're doing everything like this you're the best one who's going to know what's been done and what hasn't been done. Of course I'm no wiring expert but just like you I've been in my wires so much it finally comes to me after a while because I've touched everything. I do like using my test light to see if things are getting juice or not. Maybe that can be done with the steering wheel off on the blinker connections? Or make sure like you're saying it's getting juice to the switch..
at the very least a couple back and forth between us might prompt someone to take a look at this thread and be of some real help LOL

What I can offer from factory wiring diagrams may not help but... here goes,
A red wire with tracer left the radio fuse and went to radios connector. In the same connector terminal is/was a white wire that carried the same 12 volts away again to the 'W' terminal of bulkhead connector. A black wire in that same terminal carries the 12 volts away again to the signal flasher. Other side of signal flasher has red with tracer again going to the turn signal switch.

What I can offer from factory wiring diagrams may not help but... here goes,
A red wire with tracer left the radio fuse and went to radios connector. In the same connector terminal is/was a white wire that carried the same 12 volts away again to the 'W' terminal of bulkhead connector. A black wire in that same terminal carries the 12 volts away again to the signal flasher. Other side of signal flasher has red with tracer again going to the turn signal switch.
I would think that would be almost all that can be offered. Kind of why I was alluding to once you start doing custom wiring who knows except for the person doing it. I really hope it helps though...

I would think that would be almost all that can be offered. Kind of why I was alluding to once you start doing custom wiring who knows except for the person doing it. I really hope it helps though...
well... He knows where the signal flasher is. If he don't find power to black wire there at switch on, he needs to provide it.

You say that the emergency flashers are working?
If you hit the brakes both brake lights are coming on?

Are you using the original steering column and steering wheel?

Last edited:
There is only "so much" going in and out of the TS switch. Assuming no lamps work associated with signals, get a diagram......you can download shop manuals and diagrams free from MyMopar...........and look for:

"Going in". Generally the white is switched brake power. This should be live anytime the brake pedal is depressed

Signal flasher power. This goes into the switch and should be live at anytime the ignition is in "run"

Hazard flasher power. This should be live at all times going into the switch.

So look up the colors for the two wires to the rear. Press the brake and test the wires. Both should be hot. If you have power from the brake switch going into the TS switch, then the switch is bad

Same with turn. With key in "run" select either left or right. the corresponding front and rear wires should become hot.

Wiggle the XXXXX out of the hazard switch they are a problem

-
Back