Need help with Speedometer cable

-

equium

Reaction score
I purchased a 1970 Plymouth Valiant with a 318. The previous owner stated that the tranny installed was from a vehicle with a 360. I need a new speedo cable. It's 63" long. The end that plugs into the transmission does not match the new speedo cable I purchased. The end that I have on the vehicle is a large nut that holds it in. (greater than 1"). Can anyone assist with an application or part number that would steer me in the right direction.
thanks,
Danny

Some have a large nut, and others have a large round knurled "fitting" for the trans side. I believe that the thread is the same.... I could be wrong though, it's been a while.

For the spedo side, it either is a screw on or plastic clip on.

Some have a large nut, and others have a large round knurled "fitting" for the trans side. I believe that the thread is the same.... I could be wrong though, it's been a while.

For the spedo side, it either is a screw on or plastic clip on.
The speedo side is the "traditional" plastic clip many are familiar with. The trans side has a large nut, like you mentioned. Now if I can which vehicle application will give me both those ends at 63", i'll be golden. I just finished feeding the kids so now I can hunt for one.
thanks

Rock auto only has one listing for '68 and newer and the ends look like this...View attachment getimage.jpg

'67 and older look like this...View attachment getimage (1).jpg

Look up what you need for your car in the body-interior section. All they offer is an 80 incher which will replace yours nicely. Doesn't matter which transmission you have, all the speedo drives were the same so whichever cable you wind up with, the fitting will attach to the transmission. The speedo head end is the only difference and you have a 50 percent chance of being right without even looking...

I definitely have the white plastic connector for the gauge end. I'm going to take a closer look when I have daylight. It was pretty dirty. I may have missed the part that unscrews, thinking the nut had to come off. I'll have more info soon. Thanks for the info.

Some cables had a hex at the trans end instead of the connector shown. Just depends on who made it...

Some cables had a hex at the trans end instead of the connector shown. Just depends on who made it...
I just crawled under the car. I have removed and confirmed that i have the HEX end at my trans. I found an online source that had the cable, but it was about 80 bucks. I'm going to visit my Autozone buddies and see if they can find an application that will work for me.
thanks

I just changed my cable this weekend. '75 Duster/ slant with 904, but I think it should be same. The one I took off was 63" and had a 1" hex nut, the one I put back on looked like the first one in pics above except no metal around the plastic. I got mine from Napa for $22. They call it a 68 inch, I measured 69. Just sticks out a bit more by the master cyl.

I just changed my cable this weekend. '75 Duster/ slant with 904, but I think it should be same. The one I took off was 63" and had a 1" hex nut, the one I put back on looked like the first one in pics above except no metal around the plastic. I got mine from Napa for $22. They call it a 68 inch, I measured 69. Just sticks out a bit more by the master cyl.

I was going to post the same info but glad you covered it.

Always check NAPA before any reproduction special place.
Most likely they can get the part.

Thanks for the Napa lead. I'll try them tomorrow. You wouldn't happen to have a part number do you? :0)

thanks

The 68 inch I used is #6151659. They also list a 63", but says 2piece 'lower' - and a 40" 'upper' ???. They show that 80" for 1970 and the other ones for 1971 up. I often find that parts listings are either not complete for different years ( or completely wrong) for '75 I frequently have to look up 74 to get any hits.

A owner found a manual trans from a early A-body under the later model DeMon purchased. He had to have the speedo cable custom made.

-
Back