Need help with tire clearance issue.

-

flyboy01

Its almost done!
Reaction score
Got my rear re-installed yesterday, but I had a major goof on my tires. I measured everything and got 15x8 wheels with 4.5 bs on 265/50r15 tires, I figured everything would fit fine. I was wrong, I mis-measured. I now have 1/8" clearance from each wheelwell lip to the tire sidewall, I figured I could cut the lip down so I could have about 5/16 clearance on each side. Is this going to be enough, or do I need to get smaller tires?

axle004.jpg

axle002.jpg

axle008.jpg

We've used the ol baseball bat method before. Took an old wooden bat, had to cut it down. Stuck it in front of the tire, buddy put it in reverse and s-l-o-w-l-y backed up tucking the lip in. Each time going a little higher on the bat.

I think with the stiff sidewall and good shocks and springs you should be ok after rolling the lip or cutting it down. Were did you find 265-50-15s ?

How much room do you have between the tire and the spring ? Im hoping I can get a 275-60-15 under the Scamp if I use the offset spring hangers. Sounds like I will need a 5" backspacing.

That looks pretty close. If it were me I'd carefully roll the lip with a hammer as opposed to cutting it. This way if those tires don't work out you can roll it back down to stock. Mike

IMO ya made the wrong tire choice. Should have used 275/60R15's. The rims and spacings are correct.

Plan A .. Different tires
Plan B .. Roll the lip, not cut.. Rolling it will add strength to the area.
Plan C . IMO the best...Re-arch, replace leaf springs so they sit 1-2" higher.

-
Back