Need Holley One Barrel Recommendation

-

celcius232

Reaction score
I recently picked up an original 1976 Dart Lite with a 225 and 4-speed OD. It has been off the road for 20 years. The original carb and distributor are still on it, but it runs poorly and likely has some missing components of the "lean burn" system. I can source an original non-Lite distributor for a 225 with a manual trans, but would like to switch the carb too for the best drivability. Any recommendations on year and model--Holley 1945? BTW we have no emissions compliance in Montana. Any help will be much appreciated.

Keep what you have and find how to properly rebuild them both if they are original. Shouldn't have lean burn, should just have the super rare carb and distributor custom optimized for the Dart Lite/Feather Duster.

Don't blame the carb/distributor for the poor running if you aren't certain. There are a dozen different things that could cause that.

Keep what you have and find how to properly rebuild them both if they are original. Shouldn't have lean burn, should just have the super rare carb and distributor custom optimized for the Dart Lite/Feather Duster.
x2. Can you describe some of the symptoms of 'poor running' so that is can be better diagnosed?

Erratic idle, weak power under load, oil smoke under load in gear but not at idle. The PO installed a carb kit and replaces the fuel tank and pump to get it running. Been off the highway for 20 years.

I have been reading up on the Feather Duster/Dart Lite on SlantSix.org. I do not have a TSM yet, but one is on the way. I understand that distributor and carb, and EGR setup was specific to these models. It was setup to run at the ragged edge of advanced timing and lean fuel/air conditions. I am not sure if the EGR is functional, but has a yellow Mopar sticker on it that says "4006 895". There is no OSAC Nox valve system or vacuum reservoir on the motor as depicted in the under hood vacuum line diagram.

At this point I am not looking to resurrect the system, but to get normal power for a /6 motor without strange drivability issues associated with a 40 year old emission economy system. Perhaps in the future when I gain some knowledge of it, I will put it back on and see how it works. I have seen advance timing damage in other engines and plays havoc with cast pistons. bg

3 carbs were used that I know of - Carter BBS, Holley 1920, Holley 1945. Many say the latter is best and most efficient. The BBS is probably less fuss and easier to trouble-shoot. I recall that Holley sold an Economaster model for the slant in the 1980's, which you sometimes see on ebay. Before that, consider if you want to change to a 2 bbl or 4 bbl manifold, since that gives many more carb options. A few have made custom MPFI, which is the ultimate fueling.

Having driven a Dart Lite myself in new condition for over 150k miles, driveability issues on the original system simply were not there as some people seem to imagine;what it implies on some website is not pertinent. It had as much power as any 1 bbl /6 in the day (my family had 4 in that time frame and I drove them all), and more zip that some because of the lighter weight. It would ping on occasion if you were OD on grades, and the power valve came in with a little delay over standard, but that was it; if you put your foot into it, it went fine. I am not fooling you.....

So your carb may be off but it is not a normal Lite system operation that is causing these symptoms.

Run a compression test on all cylinders; run it with the throttle propped open per the standard procedure. Oil smoke under load in gear is more likely compression rings. (Sorry....)

Erratic idle could be a vacuum leak (did the PO do a good job sealing things up?) or weak ignition, or poor compression. What have you done with adjusting timing? New plugs, wires, etc.?

Adjust the valves per standard procedures and lash; these engines are very finicky on valve lash.

Please do yourself a favor and do these standard things first on an unknown engine.

I agree with nm9stheham. Verify all id within specs before you just replace the carb. I know on my slant 6 the new carb thru Summit Racing was like $250 rebuild and it was drop on just adjust the idle mixture screw. That was a stock 1920 Holley for a 66 Plymouth. I would love to recommend the part number but it is shaft control and not cable controlled.
Joe

Found this information in the 1976 service highlights manual that Chrysler supplied to mechanics on the Automatic Idle Speed diaphragm system used on the Dart Lite-Feather Duster. It seems like erratic idle was a problem from the beginning. The AIS diaphragm is missing from my Dart Lite carburetor. I have not found a part no. for the AIS diaphragm in the parts manual, perhaps it was only serviced with the complete carburetor?

Attachments

• 1976 Dart Lite Service Highlight AIS-1.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 1976 Dart Lite Service Highlight AIS-2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 115
-
Back