Need ideas for interior trunk panelling.

-

cudaspaz

Reaction score
I want to make some custom panels inside the trunk for the back, sides and floor so i need some ideas.
Keeping in mind I have a fuel cell smack dab in the center.

Any ideas would be helpful so I can kick them around and see what might spark my interest.

I'd like to go to the stereo install shops that build all the trick stuff for the guys who turn their entire car into a concert hall, but I don't trust leaving my car with ANY of those knuckleheads.

I was thinking just gluing down some black carpet pyle but I'd like to build some panels for the sides also.

Tell me if this is stupid:

Was thinking of cutting some thin particle board to build the panels then just covering them with carpet pyle, but I'm no upholstery guy so any ideas welcome.

I was also thinking of ordering some trunk spare tire covers from the dealership and cutting them and piecing them together until I have something I can work with....dunno.

you could get some wood, cover with carpet and mount speakers all around the sides. put your spare tire in and then put some type of board covered carpet down. but color coordinate with the car.

then everything minus the speakers, my car doesnt have a cd player either, just an Ipod port.

Try some 1/8 melamine/fiber board, use a fabric or carpet from where ever. The biggest challenge will be to secure them to the sides. Use some cardboard to make templates, I used some Cardboard to make my speaker box fit tight before the carpet went on, now that it's on it is really tight.LOL

Tom

You could make all the panels and then bring them to a fabric/upholstery shop and have them do something with a design for you. Should save a few bucks and keep your car at home.

dsc01040smallqq8.jpg

Your idea of the thin particle board isn't a bad one. Attach the panels in a way that's not permanent: push pins, small screws, what have you. Then you can take 'em to the local upholstery shop to get the panels covered without having to leave the car. Once they're done, install them yourself.

Either that or find a good, reputable upholstery shop to start talking to. We have a guy here local who touches a lot of high dollar hot rods and antiques. He treats them with a lot of respect. Just what you need after some of the things you've put with on that car.

I am going to do my duster trunk farther down thew road after I I get further with the project.

I was just going to take some 1x1 or something and built some sloped framing for the sides of the trunk and for the front and back of the trunk (in front on inner quarter panels and back of seat and in front of tail lights.

I will also make a rectangular frame around the fuel filler tube.

after all that is mached up I was just going to go to the lumbar yard or something and get a sheet or two of paneling and I would cut it to fit each mached up panel peice in my trunk and I would screw it to my 1x1 framing I previously built.

after all my framing and paneling was done I would go to joanne fabrics and buy a couple of yards of thin cut pile carpet material or some vinyl and I would figure out how much I would need to cover each panel and I would cut it to size and then I would take some contact cement/spray adhesive and spray/brush my panels down and I would lay my material over it and get it stuck down real good and then fold the edges of the material over the back side of the paneling board and stick the excess folded over on the back side...( you could also staple the edges for extra security).

this would be cheap to do (maybe $50.00) and would be lite weight maybe 5-10 lbs ....but that sure beats the heck out of using a bunch of heavy ply wood.

and it would also be a great choice if you ever need access under the panels because you can always just unscrew your panels and remove them

I think it would make for a very clean finished looking trunk......atleast thats how I am going to do mine!

Godd ideas fella's.

I have an upholstery shop literally 1 mile from my house.

I have been meaning to visit them for years now just never got the chance.

If I like them I might have them do my headliner also, I hate interior crap because I break everything I touch like that.

If you look in the back of some other vehicles you'll find ideas. Like In the back of a Camry there are small pieces of hardboard on each side to fill the void between trunk floor and quarter skin. Then the carpet lays right over those and the metal trunk floor.
A 90 Accord witl fold down rear seats has a huge piece of carpet that covers the back of the seats to the tail lights. I like the greyish carpet.
Now the harder part... The 75 Valiant Brogham edition had a molded plastic cover that caps from truck lid catch to both tail lights. That piece is taller that what your fish needs so you'll need to rip it. That same Valiant had fabric glued directly over the rear wheel wells and a sleeve over the filler tube. Velcro works well in a lot of places.
I would rather go to a parts yard like LKQ and get auto grade materials for nearly nothing than to go to the hardware store and pay for large pieces of new material that may not hold up.
There are backings on some house carpets that will go through paint like a rasp too.
Just food for thought. Show us what you end up doing. Good luck

How about working with some sheet steel? It might be lighter in the long run.

you could use some aluminum angle iron from hardware store for attaching the panels. It bends to contours real easy and can be riveted into place, then just use screws to fasten the paneling to it. You should use masonite for material, its a ***** to work with sometimes but its light, strong, and does'nt soak up moisture as much as particle board would. you just have to sand the shiny side before glueing carpet or upholstery or it won't stick.

Great ideas on this thread! Here's a few more variations on the same theme. There is a thin plywood called luan, about the same thickness as paneling easy to work with, but has a tendancy to warp. Another unusual technique is to find a streatchy material (headliner cloth works), streatch it over a form and brush on some fiberglass resin. Makes great speaker housings, stretch over a bucket, when it dries, cut a hole in it where the top of the bucket was. You can sand it smooth enough to paint, or cover with vinyl or carpet. You can get some wild shapes with this, reinforce the back with more fiberglass or expanding foam.
You may also want to think about leaving a door between the trunk and fender - than would be a great place to store extra oil, tools, etc.

I used masonite ( hardboard ) and covered with carpet from the depot...
IMG00011-20090928-1801 (Small).jpg
Not show quality but ok for a daily driver..
IMG00010-20090928-1801 (Small).jpg

and for the duster, This is the little tail light cover for the inside.
7145_1.JPG
I don't have one yet, but if I can find one that isn't $300 then maybe one day...

4flats... here is some work I've been doing to my center console...form/fiberglass....
IMG00157-20100626-1704 (Small).jpg
IMG00158-20100627-1533 (Small).jpg

IMG00010-20090928-1801 (Small).jpg

IMG00011-20090928-1801 (Small).jpg

7145_1.JPG

IMG00157-20100626-1704 (Small).jpg

IMG00158-20100627-1533 (Small).jpg

I did mine with hard board and made them a slip fit. They slip into place and are held there by press fit into the trunk channel.
I designed it and had a friend do the sewing for me then I installed the carpet and the filler pieces that go against the inside lip of the trunk.

Looks pretty good.

100_3217w.jpg

100_3208w.jpg

100_3213w.jpg

100_3216w.jpg

I did mine with hard board and made them a slip fit. They slip into place and are held there by press fit into the trunk channel.
I designed it and had a friend do the sewing for me then I installed the carpet and the filler pieces that go against the inside lip of the trunk.

Looks pretty good.

Looks beter than pretty good to me.
I want to do about the same in the trunk of my vert. I also want to build a center console with elbow rest and cup holders... like the newer vehicles have. Then upholster it to match the seat skins and door panels.

Another unusual technique is to find a streatchy material (headliner cloth works), streatch it over a form and brush on some fiberglass resin. Makes great speaker housings, stretch over a bucket, when it dries, cut a hole in it where the top of the bucket was. You can sand it smooth enough to paint, or cover with vinyl or carpet. You can get some wild shapes with this, reinforce the back with more fiberglass or expanding foam.
You may also want to think about leaving a door between the trunk and fender - than would be a great place to store extra oil, tools, etc.

You could make this using actual fiberglass cloth or carbon fiber and it would be bullet proof. This is what I would do- no moisture issues even over time, very light, and easy to make into any shape. You can cut it (ceramic blade works well), drill it, paint it, glue to it....

Damn, momoparman, you even have a chrome lid latch! Way cool!

All I did was polish the 40 yr old one on a $3.00 buffing wheel then clean it and waxed it.

I think it was chrome when it rolled off the assembly line....nobody ever thought to polish them so they just oxidized i guess.

Mop

Duh...errrrr.

Lid latch.

I thought you were talking about the latch for the drop down panel.

My bad......blame it on the Vodka.

Gnight now

Mop

-
Back