Need input on my 318 build!

-

dodgefreak8

Reaction score
well my 86 318 block goes in for machining tomorrow but I am still trying to piece this thing together. This is my build so far please tell me what you think:

'86 318 block would like to bore .020 over if that's all it needs
minimum decking just to clean it up

stock 302 heads gasket matched with valve job minimal milling w/ .039 head gaskets

KB167 pistons NOT ZERO DECKED

MP 4452759 camshaft with matching springs
Adv. Duration: .260°/268°
Dur. @ .050'': 221°/228°
Lift: .430''/.450''
Centerline: 110°
Basic RPM: 1200-5200 RPM

Edelbrock Performer intake with 1" spacer and a 575 speed demon carb

hedman headers

I am shooting for a compression ratio that I can still run 85 octane fuel on. I am hoping that by not zero decking the block I can get away with it. This combo is going in my '86 dodge w150 with an auto tranny and for the time being 3.21 gears. I might be changing to 3.91 gears if I go to 33" tires but for now thats what I have. I will also be running a hughes tow master torque converter I think its around 2200 stall.

well whats it look like?? any help would be great. thanks

How far down the hole are the pistons?

33 inch tires??????????

see thats what sucks I won't know how far down in the hole they are until I buy them. I don't want to buy them if they aren't going to work. Its a crappy situation. I think I might just go with the factory 8.5:1 pistons and mill the heads to get my compression up a little. 33x12.5x15" tires this is a truck tire

see thats what sucks I won't know how far down in the hole they are until I buy them. I don't want to buy them if they aren't going to work. Its a crappy situation. I think I might just go with the factory 8.5:1 pistons and mill the heads to get my compression up a little. 33x12.5x15" tires this is a truck tire

Somewhere around 9:1 with stock pistons. 9.5:1 with an .028 head gasket.

Ya missed it Cheif, he said;
see thats what sucks I won't know how far down in the hole they are until I buy them.
He'll have to have the deck measured and go from there. He has no idea whats going on with the engine yet, he's just speculating.

I think I am just going to go with the stock pistons and measure the deck hight. I will figure my compression then and if needed mill the heads to raise it up to the 9:1 area. I was kind of just fishing to see if anyone had already done something similar so I had some numbers to go off of. thanks for all the input, I will ask more questions when I know more.

-
Back