need new carbs for tunnel ram

-

martys

Reaction score
hows it goin everyone, i have a 73 dart swinger with a 318 that i bought it supposevely has 340 heads a wild cam which i have no idea what is unfortunately, a weiand tunnel ram and it had 2 carter 500 cfm carbs ontop of which are toast, i know i dont have all the specs and such but i am getting new carbs and i was looking at these, which come with the weiand tunnel ram setup from summit, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-9776/?image=large now what my question really is what are the pros cons between these and regular 4 barrel carbs? thanks in advancee

The only thing I see is;

Notes This has a mechanical secondary, but no secondary accelerator pump circuit. It is designed for a mulitiple carburetor application ONLY, it will not function properly on a single carburetor application.

I'd redo / rebuild the Carters up top. Let me know if you want to sell them.

Im about to have a tunnel ram,with carbs forsale pretty soon,and ill give you first chance at them when they arrive,if you are patient.I dont know the exact day they will be here,so i cant give you any other info just yet.I do have pics of them installed on the engine im getting though,maybe you know what youre looking at http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t73/jbellyus/360badass1.jpg

im on a pretty tight budget, so im looking at doing this the cheapest way, yah i know nothings cheap and its an endless money pit, my uncle told me the butterfly,s are screwed or something and that rebuilding them is not worth it, i personally dont know anything about carbs especially thows exept for kinda theoretically how they work the ones pissin fuel out the opposite side the throttle linkage is on threw the throttle thingy with the spring, if i can rebuild them i most definitively will, i guess il start reading about carbs, thanks for everyone help, and il let you know if im going to sell them

ohyeah my uncle was talking about some butterflys in th bottom of the carb or somthing again i have no clue and neither do i know if he does however the ones on the top are missing heres a couple of pics

n716585787_1291819_7499.jpg

n716585787_1291821_8080.jpg

Rumblefish360, that picture in your avatar caught my attention. It looks like an AFB type carb with a choke horn adapter/modification to improve airflow. Care to elaborate? Thanks.
Pat

That Avatar I have is indeed a AFB modified. I grabed that picture from another board and quized the poster about it. It is his carb that he use's on his race car.

So enquired about it. Other than what you can see, he gave up no infomation to it. Incase you can not see what was done, the following info was given;

Custom fitted air horn.
Machine work to make it into a double pump. Squirted in the rear.
Custom adjustable metering rods and the rods themselfs are a custom machined item.

The custom rods are so designed as to make metering changes quick and easy on the car and running if need be.

I have figured out how to make the carb into a double pumper in 2 ways, but have not yet set the theroy into practice. I need a carb to try it on. I'll be giving it a wirl when it gets cold out. To many things infront of me now that needs my attention before I set into tooling around.

The adjustable rods are simple to copy. I never would have thought of it myself. SOMEBODY was THINKING when they did that.

The air horn I'm not going to try and copy. Currently, K&N makes a stub stack taht I have used with good results, but it works best under certain conditions and just throwing it on the carb is not it.

If you just trow it on, it's terrible. It needs room to breath and ethier more filter height or an extreme lid will allow the stub stack to work. Stock height type air filters seem to hamper any potentail of the stub stack.

Again, I started to explore this area, but have been curtailed in tooling around until other truly important things get taken care of.

I do beileve that next spring, I can shjow what I have done and how they perform. The "Mule car & motor" will be the '79/318 in my '74 Duster and more likely tested at English town N.J. come spring.

You can see the screw around Duster project here; http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10508

-
Back