need new lifters...

-

Plato2k5

Reaction score
whats a good set of lifters for my 360 LA?? It has less than 500miles on it but i bought the comp cams extreme hyd. cam and lifter package. I have lifter tick. Upon some searching around this forum i find many people with these lifters have ticking.

Send them back to comp as they have had some problems and they just replaced a cam and lifters as one of theres went to s**t, but they forgot to pay for the remachining cost and labor.

what do they replace them with... same type of lifter? or is there a new part number to replace them??

They just replaced the cam and lifter with the same P#, but it worked 100% better.

Correct me if I am wrong, but somewhere I was reading that alot of the manufacturing of the lifters went overseas (China or Tiawan) and a bunch of cam manufacturers had lifter failure out the arse due to this. Now the manufacturing has been ramped up back here at home and the 'problem' has been remedied. In ten years, I predict China will make the world it's b*tch because of it's economic stature-lifters are only a microcosmic example, but I digress!

well i would rather NOT send them back and get some other cheap ones...

I do not mind spending money on a good set that wont cost me an arm and a leg. What would you suggest? crane? mopar? ????

The problem is that there is only a few lifter manufactures in the world and they make them for everone, most cam manufactures buy them from one of these. The problem that I saw was theat they weren't heat treated properly, and the replacement set was just fine and had a different production date/code on them, and the engine has been running fine since.
It doesn't really matter where you get your parts as long as you feel statisfied with the company and feel that you were treated well and that they would stand behind what they sell. This is about all that you can ask for.

Which cam? Typically, because of ramp speed and spring requirements, anything larger than the XE268 will use a lifter that tends to be noisier, and needs a different (less) preload. They are the anti-pump up type, and you will prossibly hear them even if they are working and preloaded right. It sounds a lot like a bad standard lifter. But not quite as loud. Also, roller rockers, and aluminum valve covers can make them sound even worse.

I put in a xe274 last year and had a couple of lifters go bad right away and called comp and they said send them in and they'd test them and if they were bad they'd send me new ones. I was kinda leary because I hadn't ever had this happen before and thought maybe they'd try and rip me. But I have to give them credit they sent me new ones right out no problems and they were much better than the originals (even looked slightly different) and I had no problems with them other than the typical noise like Moper described which is normal.

-
Back