Need opinions on best route to take

-

74demon

Reaction score
i sold my 70 dart with a 5.9 magnum in it and have purchased my dream car 55 dodge coronet. So here the deal i dont no if i should go back and build another magnum for my car or go la. Here is what i want for sure.
Street strip capabilities
More then likely going to be doing a full build definitely doing a stroker.
All motor car might see some nitrous but unlikely.
Honestly probably every time i drive it i will have my foot in it .

So whats going to be my best platform magnum or la

I am an old fart and love the old engines. But you can't ignore the new engines and their ability to achieve good horsepower with tame street manners. Since you are considering a more extensive build, I would step up to modern engine/trans combo's. This will result in a car that is a pleasure to drive for years to come. Just one old mans opinion.

sorry I just luv what this 426 wedge looks like //I mean if you are starting "FRESH" and want to beat it , your not going to break a big block making the same HP and the torque is where it's at !!!! That Cornet isn't lite either and what you are describing the price might be close to a wash//with today's tech and materials/lubricants even the OLD engines can be MORE durable.

6110647352_828534b25a_b.jpg

OR
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlLYLS1N0i8wkorBusmh9ErY3bxuiVHv1eFv9sKOZEYKIuPc3g.jpg

Last edited:
Space is not all that great on this big car unless you want to start cutting and fabricating but i want to kinda keep the car in somewhat origin state incase i want to go back kinda thing. Also i did consider gen 1 hemi but the build price in the hp numbers arent as good as i know i could get with a la or magnum

I luv to spend other peoples money :lol:

a stout gen 1 392 hemi with a fi tech fuel injection with a diesel rated rh od r48 trans , oh yeah going to have to upgrade the rear to a dana 60 or a curie 9 inch the weight and that 8 3/4 I believe ,will be a hazardous waste when you get on it...

a sleeping gasser

I got a A- in bench racing.....

Last edited:
If you want to chat about my 55 Dodge build let me know. I will give you the details on mine. Currently I have a 440 in the car, but have always longed for a low deck stroker. Perhaps my next build, LOL. I have seen a few of these cars with big blocks and small blocks, even one (god forbid) with a chev front clip and 350. There is plenty of room in the engine bay and transmission tunnel. Nothing has been cut or butchered on my car. Even the heavy 440 is lighter in the car than the original red ram hemi.....

rsz_img_20181009_190159.jpg

FB_IMG_1528287647732.jpg

rsz_img_20180527_083807.jpg

Magnum or LA short block in whatever stroke size you want, but drilled for LA oiling, with hydraulic roller camshaft. Top it with a set of the new Trick Flow 190cc heads, if they ever come out. Fuel injection, not throttle body injection. Overdrive transmission.
Whatever you go with, that Coronet would be a pretty cool street car. Good luck with the build.

wow dreams do come true NICE well done

If you want to chat about my 55 Dodge build let me know. I will give you the details on mine. Currently I have a 440 in the car, but have always longed for a low deck stroker. Perhaps my next build, LOL. I have seen a few of these cars with big blocks and small blocks, even one (god forbid) with a chev front clip and 350. There is plenty of room in the engine bay and transmission tunnel. Nothing has been cut or butchered on my car. Even the heavy 440 is lighter in the car than the original red ram hemi.....

View attachment 1715294317

View attachment 1715294318

View attachment 1715294319
I sent you a message boy do i have a lot of questions for you lol

i sold my 70 dart with a 5.9 magnum in it and have purchased my dream car 55 dodge coronet. So here the deal i dont no if i should go back and build another magnum for my car or go la. Here is what i want for sure.
Street strip capabilities
More then likely going to be doing a full build definitely doing a stroker.
All motor car might see some nitrous but unlikely.
Honestly probably every time i drive it i will have my foot in it .

So whats going to be my best platform magnum or la

For that car, you should go with 5.9 L for sure, the extra torque of the 5.9 will be good for that body...

I would consider going pre-magnum, late-LA and get an 88 - 91 5.9 L with the roller cam and use the LA heads and intake manifolds as their are more choices to to with....

build a 440 and have fun without all the extra hassles of trying to build a one off. My opinion as asked.

Never before have I been in favor of a crate motor, but that blueprint 408 with a warranty... man that's hard to beat. I hate spending other people's money, I try to save whenever I can and that just speaks to my budget and need for performance.
My-2..

What makes sense to me based on your comment " i am going to have m y foot in it,,,,,,,,," go stroker bigblock so you can get SERIOUS low rpm torque for fun street driving. Consider this combo- a 440 block stroked 4.5 inch, bored .030 to 535 cubic inch or 543 at .060 over. Dress it wtith a set of large port heads (look up heads in CP products catolog) cam it to have torque from 2500 up and run a super tight ten inch or 10 3/4 converter. Shift it at 5200 and smile!!

-
Back