Need parts shopping advise

-

4spdcuda66

Reaction score
I have an 8-1/4 rear with an open 2.45 gear. I'm looking to replace the carrier with a sure grip and 3.55. Where is a good place to shop for these parts. Summit's website gave me ONE gear option; 4.56! Dr. Diff has the carrier, but doesn't seem to sell ring and pinion sets. Richmond doesn't list prices, nor do they seem to sell direct. They ask you to type in your zip code and find a nearby distributor. Some others also had somewhat vague websites too. Can y'all help me out? What should I expect to pay for the carrier and gear set? It's going in a 1966 Barracuda with a mild 318 4speed street driven car under 300 H.P.

i just looked at the Summit web site and they show 35 selections of gear ratios for the 8.25 from 2.71 - 4.88 and list 15 different carriers for the 8.25 ( 27 and 29 spline )

You cant fit 355 in a 2.45 housing different carrier for lower ratios. We beat this to death let me find a link for you.

The 8 1/4 thread
You can get a sure grip and the 3.55 gears out of a jeep dana 30 on the cheap just change the clutches out usuallu under 200 for all of it. The info is all in that thread. Still will need another housing unfortunately.

I have an 8-1/4 rear with an open 2.45 gear. I'm looking to replace the carrier with a sure grip and 3.55. Where is a good place to shop for these parts. Summit's website gave me ONE gear option; 4.56! Dr. Diff has the carrier, but doesn't seem to sell ring and pinion sets. Richmond doesn't list prices, nor do they seem to sell direct. They ask you to type in your zip code and find a nearby distributor. Some others also had somewhat vague websites too. Can y'all help me out? What should I expect to pay for the carrier and gear set? It's going in a 1966 Barracuda with a mild 318 4speed street driven car under 300 H.P.

I just pulled a 7-14", Sure Grip axle (2.76:1) from my car. I have not had a chance to list it for sale. I have the driveshaft too. All brake hardware is brand new. Send me a PM if interested.

I just pulled a 7-14", Sure Grip axle (2.76:1) from my car. I have not had a chance to list it for sale. I have the driveshaft too. All brake hardware is brand new. Send me a PM if interested.

P.S. This axle will meet your HP needs.

WOW! Just went through the entire 8-1/4 thread. Looks like my case will work with a different carrier. I called the tech line at Randy's Ring and Pinion, and the tech guy said the case will accept a different carrier for the gears I want. The tech at IWE confirmed this as well. The carrier inside my case will not accept the 3.55's, though. I do have a lead on a 3.23 geared 8-1/4, locally.

Last edited:
Thank you. I have a lead on an 8-1/4 that will work if my current plan falls through.

-
Back